Acer Swift 3 Slowed down

Options
mleontenko
mleontenko Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I bought Acer-Swift-3-NXH4CEX023 7 months ago and it worked fine until yesterday when it became slow. I just turned it on in the morning to start working and all processes became slow (checked in task manager, and there were still resources free). I had Windows 10 preinstalled with laptop and it seemed to me (due to slow performance) that system was corrupted, so I installed Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (clean installation, wiped the disc) to chcek how it works, but it is still slow.

The user interface is normally responsive, buttons react to hover normally, scrolling works fine... but when I open a new browser or terminal window, it takes some time to open it. Opening a new webpage in browser takes a bit longer than usual. Also, installation of programs is a bit slower. I checked in task manager, processor and RAM are not overloaded or anything. 

What could be the problem here? I also tried clean installation of ubuntu 18.04 and the problem persists.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    The network seems to be the common denominator, both slowdowns are when opening or using browser windows. Do some speed tests to see if you can pin it down more. Could be a really slow DNS connection or a router that's in need of a reboot.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • mleontenko
    mleontenko Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    @billsey network is not problem. All processes are slower. For example, opening a small folder in file browser takes 1-2 seconds, while it happens instantly on my another older laptop. Installing a new operating system also takes significantly longer.

I tried using SSD dashboard software and it says everything is ok.
  • stadtmuellert
    stadtmuellert Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Ubuntu 20.04 slow - issue identified/confirmed, but not solved

On an Acer-Swift-SF315-41 I am running Ubuntu and Windows in dual-boot mode.
    After upgrading to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS I also experience an unacceptable slow down in overall performance. Text is only visible seconds after you typed it in an editor or terminal. Programs (like Firefox browser) and program windows are opening with endless delays.
    Windows is still runs smooth - hence this definitely is an Ubuntu 20.04 issue and, not a device issue.

Based on some forum suggestion I did o run in a terminal:
     journalctl -p err -b
    This command highlighted hardware errors including IOMMU
    In BIOS I have found a related setting "AMD-IOMMU" which I have set to "Disabled".
    This setting did improve the overall situation, but does NOT solve it.

The reason obviously is a buggy Ubuntu 20.04 firmware and I have decided to either revert back to Ubuntu 19.10 or use a different Linux flavor until this was fixed.