Acer Aspire 5 A515-43/A515-43G ram upgrade trouble

MtMountains
MtMountains Member Posts: 2 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I just purchased and received my new aspire 5 and maybe I was a little over zealous as I knew my model only contained 1 stick of 4G DDR4 and I immediately ordered another identical stick to upgrade it to 8G with. But upon opening it up I see that the notch on my empty ram slot won’t allow a DDR4 to be inserted it’s exactly opposite the notch in the existing ram stick. I’m wondering if my second slot is possibly DDR3?? Is that even possible? Please help!

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,328 Pathfinder
    @MtMountains
    This model has 2 DIMM Socket that supports 16GB Memory Size per Socket 
    It Supports Maximum MemorySize 32GB with DDR4 2400 speed, DIMM Voltage 1.2V and package DDR4 SO-DIMM 260 pin

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!  
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,488 Trailblazer
    edited June 2020
    I just purchased and received my new aspire 5 and maybe I was a little over zealous as I knew my model only contained 1 stick of 4G DDR4 and I immediately ordered another identical stick to upgrade it to 8G with. But upon opening it up I see that the notch on my empty ram slot won’t allow a DDR4 to be inserted it’s exactly opposite the notch in the existing ram stick. I’m wondering if my second slot is possibly DDR3?? Is that even possible? Please help!
    When upgrading ram you should always use and see GPUz "SPD" Slot#1 to #4 (whichever is the appropriate specs of the ram that you have) to get the full spec's of your existing ram and try to match any upgrade and/or to a totally and replacement of the ram capacities from there e.g. if you have DDR4-2400 OEM then match it to the same part number and manufacturer or if you want to upgrade to a higher speed DDR4-3200 do the same, that is the only way you can upgrade to a working and additional ram.

Your Aspire A515-43 ram specs are as follows: max ram mem of 32GB your Aspire A515-43  has 2x slots and 2 banks of 1 of ram and comes with standard mem of 4GB removable ram. You can upgrade with 1x 4GB DDR4-2400 of exact ram part number and brand of your OEM or if you want more than *GB total ram then you can discard the OEM 4GB ram and buy a kit of either 2x kit of DDR4-2666 or DDR4-3200 ram of either 2x kit of 8GB (16Gb total) or 2x kit of 16GB (32GB total) ram, simple, dont buy any ram that is different to either your OEM ram or ram that does not suite the Aspire A515-43 ram as it wont work. For a guide of the ram that the Aspire A515-43 takes and the combinations that it takes but and as I've said, I would install a kit of the same ram of 2x whatever you can afford ram see here: https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/acer/aspire-a515-43
  • MtMountains
    MtMountains Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks for the help but my issue is that if I have two identical sticks of ram they will not fit my slots... See in the photos how the notch in the slot prevents me from inserting two of the same ram sticks... is this a manufacturer error? Is there any fixing this?