I tried to reinstall Windows 10. But stuck at 64%. Keeps on rebooting Aspire V5-431

mhou022
mhou022 Member Posts: 7 New User
edited June 2022 in Aspire Laptops
Hi, I've been trying to reinstall Windows and set it back to factory set. But reinstallation won't continue after 64%. PC keeps on restarting, saying 'preparing'. Then "installing Windows, this will take a while, don't turn off your PC, your PC will restart several times. Then keeps on restarting, progression stuck at 64%. Why?

(Thread was edited to add model name to the title)

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    You can try to create an installation media with windows 10. But it is necessary to download the iso: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209
    The microsoft program will configure the usb stick.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• What is the exact model of the notebook? example an515-51-75kz. Are you trying to reinstall windows by pressing alt + f10 before the Acer logo?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • mhou022
    Thank you for your reply. Yea I tried alt+f10 before and after logo, also tried shift+10. It's an Aspire V5-431 series, one of the silver ones
  • What happens when you select the option that completely erases the hard drive?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• mhou022
    Can't remember there was any option. It just asked me if I'd want to delete all things from HD, I just selected it. 
  • mhou022
    At first there was always a msg with a red cross, telling me sth like: the machine was restarted unexpectedly, installation can't proceed, to proceed press OK, I did, Then it kept on stopping at da red cross. Then following suggestions on YouTube, I did shift+F10 it allowed me to change a value from 1 to 3, i did, Then no more red cross, But it kept restarting, getting stuck at 64% so i asked my very first question in this community
  • Did you back up the operating system provided by acer as soon as you purchased the notebook?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCmAOwRYNwY&list=FLVBqwtBw09_Z9tXo1Injakw&index=2&t=3s

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• mhou022
    Sorry can't see the video, stops loading at 90%. I don't think i backed up da operating system. After i bought it, i started using it straight away
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer

Firstly, in what mode are you trying to install the OP in? Is it in the Legacy mode or UEFI mode?

Note: I suggest that you install Windows 10 in UEFI mode (see the instructions below)  as the "Windows Media Creation Tool" can be used for both Legacy and UEFI. 

Start your installation again. turn the laptop OFF (press the power button for 10 seconds) until it turns off > reboot (with the installation media in the USB) and when you get to the "Windows 10 Installation Screen" do the following:

• On next window click on Install Now.
    • You will be presented with the License terms, Accept it and click on Next.
    • Now select the type of installation you want.
    • Do you want to upgrade your existing Windows installation and keep the files and settings, or do you want to Custom install Windows?
    • Since you want to do a fresh or clean install of Windows 10, select Custom Install 

How to Select Drive to Install Windows 10 with UEFI

Your motherboard must support UEFI 2.0 or later to be able to install 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 10 with UEFI (which the V5-431 bios has, also, make sure if you don't have the latest bios v2.18 that you update it) 

Next

A) Delete all partitions/volumes on the Drive # (ex: Drive 0) that you want to install Windows 10 with UEFI on until that Drive # shows as unallocated space. (see screenshot below)

B) When you are finished, click/tap on Next, and the installation of Windows 10 will now begin (during the installation process, your screen may flash and computer will restart a few times)

Note: If you receive a "Windows can't be installed on Drive 0" warning, you will still be able to as long as you can click/tap on the Next button.

Windows Setup will automatically create the 4 partitions below on the drive, and install Windows 10 on the primary partition. The order these partitions are created in has changed in Windows 10 version 2004.

• Partition 1 - System - The EFI System partition that contains the NTLDR, HAL, Boot.txt, and other files that are needed to boot the system, such as drivers.
    • Partition 2 - MSR - The Microsoft Reserved (MSR) partition that reserves space on each disk drive for subsequent use by operating system software.
    • Partition 3 - Primary - Where Windows is to be installed to.
    • Partition 4 - Recovery - In Windows 10 version 2004 and higher, the "Recovery Partition" partition will be created at the final stages of Windows Setup. In Windows 10 version 1909 and lower, the "Recovery Partition" partition will be created as partition 1 instead.

That's it, your Windows 10 will install
    • mhou022
      O no unfortunately i didn't make a installation media.
    • Commodore_1995#
      Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
      Answer ✓
      You can try to create an installation media with windows 10. But it is necessary to download the iso: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209
      The microsoft program will configure the usb stick.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• mhou022
      Thank you, will give a try
    • Its_Christian
      Its_Christian Member Posts: 1 New User
      I also experience the same thing, did the recommendation above helps?
    • FoxxKincaid
      FoxxKincaid Member Posts: 1 New User

Yes, I followed it, and it worked for me. What you want to do is put that file onto a USB https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209and reload the computer. When I started it, it kept blinking, but when I kept clicking F2 or F10, I got into the troubleshooting section and followed the prompts. Also, when into the settings, go into custom install. They will want a license for Windows, but you can skip the process. Then, what I did was use my bootable drive for my old Acer, reinstalled the whole thing over again (To get my Windows credentials), and now I'm back to par.