Acer swift 3 touchpad freezing

Redx
Redx Member Posts: 4 New User
edited June 2020 in Swift and Spin Series
Hey all, I just got an Acer Swift 3 SF315-41-R7EQ. All works well, but the touchpad is annoying and im not sure how to turn it off. On my previous laptops, there was a synaptics tab in mouse properties where I was able to shut it off, or when I was using Ubuntu I could disable it with xinput. I'm currently on windows 10, latest drivers, I tried reinstalling ELAN and Synaptics drivers, neither of which changed anything. Usually something like this wouldn't bother me, but I use lightroom and Photoshop a lot, and it's a pain in the ***** to play around with the sliders when the touchpad is acting up. Any help is greatly appreciated.
 Video attached to show my issue. https://youtu.be/u-lRRhrCjyo

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    There should be a Touchpad Toggle key on your keyboard. It's in different places with different keyboard languages, but it should have this symbol:

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Redx
    billsey said:
    There should be a Touchpad Toggle key on your keyboard. It's in different places with different keyboard languages, but it should have this symbol:

It's not that, in the video, you can see that the curser moves no problem when I don't let my finger idle in the same place for more than about 3/4 of a second. When I pressed that button, the touchpad stopped wouldn't move at all.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Sorry, I should have caught that. A long touch is supposed to give you a right click to see the context menu. It's obviously doing something, but that something seems to be to take over mouse movements until a timeout happens, which blocks the normal movement. I'd guess it's an app trying to do something nifty for you on a right click that's broken, but it's hard to tell yet. Look in Event Viewer and see if anything is throwing an error when you cause the issue.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Redx
    edited June 2020
    I tried it on a fresh install of Windows 10, nothings changed, not seeing anything in event viewer either. You said that normally it would right click instead of freezing the trackpad, if there's a way to turn off that feature maybe it would fix my issue? Not sure where I'd find it though
  • there is a version of the bios referring to the touchpad configuration. Also, what happens when you change the touchpad to basic in the bios and increase the sensitivity here?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Redx
    there is a version of the bios referring to the touchpad configuration. Also, what happens when you change the touchpad to basic in the bios and increase the sensitivity here?

I've tried adjusting the sensitivity slider with no luck. I'll try the bios option tomorrow
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Vbrianz
    Vbrianz Member Posts: 2 New User
    I just experienced the same thing with my swift 3 2018. I already reinstall the driver, io driver but nothing works. then I try to disable fast startup on additional battery settings and it works. no delay or lagging from the touchpad or fingerprint scanner.