Enable AHCI for SSD in Swift 3 SF315-51

Options
csarkar
csarkar Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have an Acer Swift 3 315-51-50B5 and I have installed a Samsung 970 EVO Plus in the m.2 slot. But I'm not able to see the option to set Sata mode to AHCI in bios even after pressing the CTRL + S in the main tab or setting a supervisor password too doesn't work. What shall I do? 

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    No notebook will perform as well when connected to a battery. The battery is not capable of providing the same performance as the power adapter. About the fact that the notebook suddenly turns off when using battery power, this may be because there is a possibility that the battery is not calibrated. Can you check the battery status with hwinfo64? Also, if this battery issue only occurs with the ssd nvme, have you tried to update the ssd firmware?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,319 Pathfinder
    Options
    @csarkar (Do at your own risk because if you done any mistake then you laptop may crash)

Just update your bios version to latest version it will automatically detect SSD, if not then option will be their is bios after update (may need to press ctrl+S)

To update bios follow this video↓
    https://youtu.be/GYfDgDfXhLY
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • csarkar
    Options
    @csarkar (Do at your own risk because if you done any mistake then you laptop may crash)

Just update your bios version to latest version it will automatically detect SSD, if not then option will be their is bios after update (may need to press ctrl+S)

To update bios follow this video↓
    https://youtu.be/GYfDgDfXhLY
    BIOS is updated to the latest one. Didn't work on old bios also. CTRL + S doesn't show anything
  • GAMING6698
    Options
    @csarkar
    Boot in safe mode then check if SSD appears
    If yes then restart your laptop and check in normal mode.

1year ago my friend do this and he able to see ssd I don't know how it work it also make no sense.
    You must try this may be work

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • csarkar
    Options
    @csarkar
    Boot in safe mode then check if SSD appears
    If yes then restart your laptop and check in normal mode.

1year ago my friend do this and he able to see ssd I don't know how it work it also make no sense.
    You must try this may be work

Tried this several times but it didn't help..
  • GAMING6698
    Options
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Do ssd and sata ahci mode appear in the information tab of the bios?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Options
    Show us a picture of the BIOS Information screen please. Do you have a HDD installed in addition to the M.2 SSD? Which specific model of the 970 EVO SSD did you install?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • csarkar
    edited June 2020
    Options
    billsey said:
    Show us a picture of the BIOS Information screen please. Do you have a HDD installed in addition to the M.2 SSD? Which specific model of the 970 EVO SSD did you install?
    Yes HDD is installed. SSD is 970 Evo plus 250 GB. Firmware is also updated of the SSD via Samsung Magician.

[Post edited to remove inappropriate or personal content -Acer-Manny]

• csarkar
    Options
    Do ssd and sata ahci mode appear in the information tab of the bios?
    Here, BIOS images attached.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    It says that starting from version 1.03, automatic detection of raid or ahci mode will be supported:

The raid only works when there are two units. What happens when you disconnect the hard drive? In addition, I think you should uninstall the intel rapid storage and the optane memory program in the safe boot.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yes, you shouldn't need to force AHCI mode. What actual issue are you having? It looks like your best configuration is to boot from the SSD and put the C: drive there as well, then use the HDD only for data storage (likely as D:).
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • csarkar
    Options
    billsey said:
    Yes, you shouldn't need to force AHCI mode. What actual issue are you having? It looks like your best configuration is to boot from the SSD and put the C: drive there as well, then use the HDD only for data storage (likely as D:).
    Whenever I move my laptop power from wall charger to battery power, I see a performance drop on the system. I've also the power setting to high performance and sometimes the laptop shuts down on it own on battery power (Battery does great with HDDs). This only happens with NVME SSDs. I read somewhere to install the SSD correctly with NVME with AHCI boot options and it could help. I went to the service centre to get it checked but they told me that all my SSDs are corrupt and they even declared a brand new ssd corrupt and told me buy another and didn't look at the laptop. Here in my city, the service is quite poor and they have untrained professionals and you can't rely on them.
  • csarkar
    Options
    It says that starting from version 1.03, automatic detection of raid or ahci mode will be supported:

The raid only works when there are two units. What happens when you disconnect the hard drive? In addition, I think you should uninstall the intel rapid storage and the optane memory program in the safe boot.
    But it doesn't detect raid.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    No notebook will perform as well when connected to a battery. The battery is not capable of providing the same performance as the power adapter. About the fact that the notebook suddenly turns off when using battery power, this may be because there is a possibility that the battery is not calibrated. Can you check the battery status with hwinfo64? Also, if this battery issue only occurs with the ssd nvme, have you tried to update the ssd firmware?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• csarkar
    Options
    The battery seems okay in hwinfo64. SSD firmware is also updated via Samsung Magician.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Can you send a screenshot of the battery status that appears in hwinfo64?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• csarkar
    Options
    Can you send a screenshot of the battery status that appears in hwinfo64?

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    See that there is a wear of 26.9%. I suggest you try to calibrate the battery.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• csarkar
    Options
    See that there is a wear of 26.9%. I suggest you try to calibrate the battery.
    I've calibrated the battery but the issue persists.
  • csarkar
    Options
    I've recently met someone with the same laptop and facing the same issues. Whenever he installs any NVMe SSD into the laptop he faces the issue of sudden shutdowns. I think there's an issue with BIOS provided by the Acer. The local service centre guys are clueless and only return the laptop by removing the SSD saying its faulty.