Boot up issues with new processor installed.

Options
thrawn002
thrawn002 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited February 15 in 2020 Archives
So I installed a I7 6th gen, non K version, from an I5 6th gen. I went into msconfig and set cores to 4. Prior to that it wouldn't even recognize the cores, just the old 2. When I put the desktop into sleep mode, now it won't come out, but works fine with a pull plug start. I am thinking it is the bios, but do not want to mess up the system

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    Options
    What is your computer model and exact cpu i5 6th gen and i7 6th gen models numbers? As cpu upgrades depend on allot of factors of the cpu spec and compatibility.
  • thrawn002
    edited May 2020
    Options
    i5-6400 is the I5 processor that was in the motherboard. I ran a motherboard check and there were no issues with that test, with everything passing. I have had no other issues. Update: I changed the number of cores, in msconfig to default again. Now, there are no issues when I restart the PC, or put the PC in sleep mode. I decided to do this after reading a post where someone mentioned that people should stop posting topics where it tells you to update the cores, so I reverted back to the default settings. So far I have had no further issues. Another member on here explained to me that the I7 6700 can be dropped right in, but the K version would have required an upgrade to the fan. Idle heat settings on the processors are 28.0 C to 31.0 C. Highest they have reached, while running a game, Arma 3, are 68.0C.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yeah, it's usually best to drop into the BIOS right after a CPU swap and do a quick reset to defaults. That tells the system to rescan and it'll find any processor/memory changes. No need (or want) to change things with msconfig.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • thrawn002
    Options
    So F11 or F12 on startup and then reset the bios to default. Where exactly is that, is it easy to find on the BIOS screen? Also, will that wipe stuff out on my system, files, etc?
  • billsey
    Options
    I think it's F2 at startup to get into the BIOS. F9 in the BIOS menu to reset to defaults, and F10 in the BIOS menu to save and exit. It won't muck anything up unless you've been overclocking and such, in which case you'll have to redo the tweaks.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • thrawn002
    Options
    Thanks much Billsey and especially for the quick response too.
  • billsey
    Options
    Glad I could help.