Windows Hello fingerprint recognition is unavailable on TravelMate X3410-M

winben
winben Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello community!

I have an X3 travelmate notebook since the beginning of this year. It was fine till yesterday. Yesterday stopped working the touchpad, I have to reboot my notebook in force mode - power btn long press, and I start the Windows again.
I think it was the lastest point when my notebook's fingerprint sensor was usable. So I powered on my notebook I can't login "with my finger". I logged in with PIN and checked the "Windows Hello fingerprint" options and I see: "This service is not available, not detected compatible hardware".
I opened the Acer support page, I download the "EGISTEC" fingerprint sensor driver. I unpacked the zip, in cmd (run as administrator) I started the install.bat and I got message: install finished.
Reboot Windows. Nothing. I installed AGAIN. Nothing.
I checked in Windows Device Manager. I can't find any device which named for example "fingerprint" or "egistec". BUT in the list in USB controllers category I see an "
Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)".

I tried:
Right click, update driver, reboot -> nothing happened, but the Windows is upgraded to the new build. Hurray. Bah.
Right click, remove device, I waited a little bit, refresh, unknown device in the list again
Right click, remove device, starting install.bat, its installed -> nothing
I checked the install.bat - with pnputil tried uninstall the fingerprint sensor driver. Then Windows reboot, and I tried install again. Its installed 1 package and nothing happened.

It was broken? Hardware issue?
I need this pc to my work I can't to send it to maintenance or reinstall Windows. 
I think about start an Ubuntu 18.04 to test from pendrive, but I don't have much any hope in Ubuntu (about fingerprint sensor recognition).

So. What can I do with this pc at home?

Best regards!

Answers

• Did this problem occur after any windows update? Have you tried to restore windows to a date before the problem?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Device Manager should have it under Biometric Devices. Windows updates have broken them before, usually for a couple of weeks before they get it working again.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • winben
    winben Member Posts: 2 New User
    I tried to restore to earlier restore point, the current updates are removed.
    My Windows is crash totally, finally I had to reinstall Windows.

The drivers (from support page) have been installed.
    The situation is same. I see an unknown device, fingerprint sensor is not working.

Maybe it will be hardware issue. 😢
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    More likely the driver, the latest Windows update likely doesn't like something the driver was doing, so they removed it until it can be fixed.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.