Concept D7 cn715717429

RolandOfGilead
RolandOfGilead Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited February 27 in 2020 Archives
I’ve noticed this since the beginning in a particular light condition. When a loading screen is jet black, and when in a room with the lights off and no other light reflecting, I notice the screen looks kind of patchy and not completely black. I thought maybe it was to do with reflecting the keyboard glow but when I switched that off it made no difference. I checked my old aspire and that is jet black with no patchiness.

Thoughts? I have attached a pic.

Answers

• RolandOfGilead

Tinkerer

So apparently it’s a normal thing on IPS displays. Hmmmm. And so why is IPS supposedly better, and also more expensive,  then? 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    It's normal as you suggest. It is caused by reflections of the backlight for the display. Since the backlight isn't a solid light covering the whole screen area you get this symptom when the backlight is on, but all the pixels are set to opaque.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • RolandOfGilead

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    It's normal as you suggest. It is caused by reflections of the backlight for the display. Since the backlight isn't a solid light covering the whole screen area you get this symptom when the backlight is on, but all the pixels are set to opaque.
    Oh, okay. I thought my screen was faulty. You can see it bleed through in certain applications when the background is black/dark under certain lighting conditions and so I thought it might be a screen fault. 

Thanks for your reply. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    No problem, that type of artifact is often wondered about when you are first using a new monitor. Part of the drawbacks to the new low power systems with high resolutioon and bright images.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • RolandOfGilead

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    No problem, that type of artifact is often wondered about when you are first using a new monitor. Part of the drawbacks to the new low power systems with high resolutioon and bright images.
    I find I get uber sensitive about faults in expensive brand new kit. I’ve not noticed issues, or not realised they were faults, with kit in the past and been told to pee off because of being outside warranty. Which is frustrating to say the least. 😤

Thanks again,
    😁🙏