Spin 5 SP513-53N-56CR Why is it so slow?

FenderGuy
FenderGuy Member Posts: 33 Die Hard WiFi Icon
So I recently got a Spin 5 SP513-53N-56CR and it was advertised as a open box item with warranty. The motherboard was replaced before and when I got it seemed ok and than it started to act up by being slow and delaying and just running like complete garbage. I had to send it again and again they replaced the motherboard for a 2nd time. It is better but I still experience a delay in Tunes if I am scrolling down in music and I cant stop it from scrolling? Apps open up delayed and sometimes 2 to 4 apps will open up instead of the 1, clicking on websites delays as well sometimes. Dont get me wrong I think 2 and 1 s prob one of the best computers Ive owned but my 2015 Travelmate  i7 dual core beats the heck out of the 2019 8th gen i5 quad core, why?

Answers

• FenderGuy
    So Power Managment is horrible in these devices, I am at witts with my 2 and 1. Also my audio drivers keep disappearing once installed, I am really annoyed at Acer Spin, wondering if the i-7 is the same way? 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    I don't think it's the difference between and i5 and i7, though there is quite a difference. I think it more likely they haven't done a good job with diagnosing the original issue. Try running a temperature monitor in the background (I'm using CoreTemp on my system) to see if things are getting too hot. The system will drop CPU speed when things are getting too hot...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • FenderGuy
    I downloaded Speccy to check temps while running proformance tests and it only went up by 4 degrees and it seems to stay around 46 to 48 degrees when using 

I have to agree with the CPU testing I am doing it describes what I am experiencing? The motherboard has been replaced twice, no doubt they are refurb units. I am unsure why my 2 and 1 seems to be bad? See below, even changing Min Processor state to 50% only yielded a 1% increase to Desktop below?

• billsey
    Why does your app say you have only a single core? Your i5 should be quad core...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • FenderGuy
    @billsey That is an online test that is done here https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Software Its a CPU test and its right my Spin 5 is terrible I did a test against my work laptop with an i5 from 2017 vs my i5 208 and check out this video, the Spin 5 is at the bottom and lags so much to even get a simple website, see below 
    https://twitter.com/frankrealestate/status/1270834350079176704
  • billsey
    It's actually an app you download and run on your PC, they just take the scores and instead of displaying them directly they upload them to their servers and give you some results. I tried it with my system and couldn't figure out how to drill down and look at my actual scores. :(
    For instance, if you have a lot of background tasks running the test will show you really low in CPU tests. If you have a lot of memory use it'll show you low on that, if you have lots of disk activity it'll show you low on that. Best would be to boot in safe mode with networking and run it again so you can be sure to not be getting bad results from what else is happening. If the numbers get enough better then try to figure out what's hogging all your resources. Anti-virus programs are notorious for that...
  • FenderGuy
    @billsey Tests are always run with no programs or outlook running, the twitter video clearly shows that my Spin 5 has issues or put together poorly by Acer. This is Acer issue and not whats on my laptop, Ive had the motherboard replaced twice already and something is not right with my SPIN 5
  • billsey
    edited June 2020
    There is really no such thing as "no programs or outlook running" You always have tasks running in the background, it's just that they are in the background so aren't visible. For instance I currently show five active tasks in Task Manager. When I click on the More Details link it shows 128 background processes. I can't see your Twitter video, so I can't comment on it. Do you have an antivirus installed? Which one?
  • FenderGuy
    @billsey Well we both kbnow that, when I do my tests I dont excess programs running that I know could interfer with the tests. I have AVG and have used them for the past 8 years with no issues and in fact had AVG on my 2015 Travelmate dual i7 that ran the tests with flying colors with the same programs I now have on my Spin 5. The Spin 5 is being bested by my 2017 work laptop with security measures on it, which means it more prone to test issues but still beats the Spin 5. Dont get me wrong I am not trying to bash Acer, but going from my 2015 Travelmate dual core into the quad core Spin 5, should have gave me the same profformance or a tad better, and its not. 
  • billsey
    And I've been trying to get to the point where we have some idea of the background task load you are running even when "idle". If there's something on the machine that's back there sucking up the resources, that would explain the low performance. If there's absolutely nothing to account for the poor performance in software then we're back to hardware, and a warranty repair. I used to use AVG in the past as you do, but switched to Windows Defender when W10 came out for this very reason, when it was running even as a background task it used something like 30% CPU and nearly full disk activity. Try an uninstall just for test purposes to make sure it's not the culprit.
  • FenderGuy
    @billsey I tested the travelmate with AVG as welll and it performed better, I downloaded another CPU test app and it says the same thing, my Spin 5 is bad 

• FenderGuy
    Wow after writing Acer a month ago and getting no reply to my issues with the Spin 5, Im selling and being done with ACER. After 7 years F Acer on how it handled my issue. I am not going to keep sending in the POS Spin 5 that was poorly designed and underpowered for a 2019 model. This SPIN 5 is a joke and Acer should be ashamed for putting out such a POS 2 and 1
  • dancemonkeymadness
    dancemonkeymadness Member Posts: 48 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    FenderGuy said:
    ...but my 2015 Travelmate  i7 dual core beats the heck out of the 2019 8th gen i5 quad core, why?
    Because the i5 and i7 almost haven't changed at all since 2015, which is why they're still using the same names. If Intel ever comes up with something significantly new in their architecture, they'll come up with a new name for their chips. 

I agree that this is another issue for Acer hardware techs. Nothing you do is going to be the silver bullet. Your soundcard is going out... possibly a dirty power supply, but Acer won't be able to figure that out if you don't send it back. Diagnosing a computer is the same as getting a diagnosis from the doctor. You have to go through a lot of visits before the doc manages to narrow down the possible answers to the correct diagnosis. You have to go through a lot of returns sometimes before the hardware techs can narrow down the possible answers to making the correct repair, especially if it's power-related (which is exactly what this is sounding like). 
  • FenderGuy
    FenderGuy said:
    ...but my 2015 Travelmate  i7 dual core beats the heck out of the 2019 8th gen i5 quad core, why?
    Because the i5 and i7 almost haven't changed at all since 2015, which is why they're still using the same names. If Intel ever comes up with something significantly new in their architecture, they'll come up with a new name for their chips. 

I agree that this is another issue for Acer hardware techs. Nothing you do is going to be the silver bullet. Your soundcard is going out... possibly a dirty power supply, but Acer won't be able to figure that out if you don't send it back. Diagnosing a computer is the same as getting a diagnosis from the doctor. You have to go through a lot of visits before the doc manages to narrow down the possible answers to the correct diagnosis. You have to go through a lot of returns sometimes before the hardware techs can narrow down the possible answers to making the correct repair, especially if it's power-related (which is exactly what this is sounding like). 

\Oh man BS answer I have a Dell work laptop with a 2018 i5 AND it runs circles around this POS SPIN 5 you paid fools want to blame Intel? Fu, you want to make Acer look F them and F this BS....THE SPIN 5 IS A 2019 AND ACER IS GARBAGE ....F this site 
  • ReynaldoFerreira
    ReynaldoFerreira Member Posts: 1 New User
    My Acer Spin 5 was too Slow even in the internet. I removed the processor dissiper and noticed the thermal paste was missing in some parts. I put new thermal paste properly and my laptop is really fast again.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi ReynaldoFerreira,

Good to know thanks for your information. It will be useful for many people. ​