Upgrade CPU Acer Aspire 5742g i3 with i5/i7 which should I go for, compatibility.

GreuDeFumat
GreuDeFumat Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited April 4 in Aspire Laptops
Greeting to you fellow earthlings, i’m in the need of a bit of help.

i’ve enjoyed a Acer Aspire 5742g for almost 10y now and the Hdd just failed on me. First piece in 10y. Overly satisfied. Replaced it. Works like a charm.

Got me thinking. What else could i could upgrade. Waiting on 4Gb of Ram ( 8£ or so on ebay), and as i was cleaning the cooler and replacing the paste, thought if i could upgrade the CPU as well. I’m fairly familiar with computers, but far from engineer :) 

My question is - What options do i have ?

It’s currently running on an intel i3 380m. Found i5s and i7s quite easy online, but, which should i go for, compatibility, this and that ...

Any help ? Many thanks 

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and issue detail]

Answers

• GreuDeFumat

Tinkerer

According to ... well this : http://www.intel-server.hu/PDF/notebook/Acer_Aspire_5742.pdf
    which is for 5742 ( No G ), and some other research, seems only i5s and 3s are compatible. Looking into a i5 580M. Any thoughts how i can check for compatibility ?

many thanks
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,942 Trailblazer
    edited May 2020

As far as I know the i3-380M cant be swapped its a soldered on type cpu? Is that correct? As by your post (that you seemed to have checkd the 5642G's cpu, it seem like its a removable cpu?  

As far a s I can find out from CPU-World the i3-380M is a soldered onto the motherboard type cpu, that is the info from here: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i3/Intel-Core%20i3%20Mobile%20I3-380M%20CN80617004116AH.html if you want all compatible cpus for the 5742G look here: http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/Intel/Core_i3_Mobile/i3-380M_(BGA).html

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    They shipped with several of the i5 series processors from that first generation (i5-450M/i5-460M/i5-540M/i5-560M/i5-580M). Since the socket is a G1 you should be able to put most any of the 1st gen processors in as long as they pull the same power. The i5s were all the M type, 35W, so if you wanted to go to an i7 you would try either the i7-620M or the i7-640M. The confusion about soldered in vs. socketed is because the G1 socket accepts a BGA (ball grid array) chip, which is normally soldered in these days.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • GreuDeFumat

Tinkerer

Many thanks for your help good people. I went for an i7 640m, will arrive in a month or so. Found one for about 35£ on ebay. Will update once i upgrade it’s beautiful ... power plug :)
  • billsey
    Yes, please let us know how it all works out.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • GreuDeFumat

Tinkerer

sorry for the late reply, took some time for the i7 to be delivered.

After little to no hussle, i've changed my intel i3 380M processor on my 10yo Acer Aspire 5742G processor with an Intel i7 640M. Couldn't be happier. Everything works like a charm. a bit of thermo paste, some fan cleaning and a bit of freshen up here an there, i can honestly say i couldn't be more satisfied. No high temp, the laptop almost flies (performance wise - for a 10yo piece of tech). I'll soon upgrade to 8GB of Ram as it's the maximum the motherboard takes ( 2 slots x 4Gb each max) and i'll extend it's life with, i hope anther 10y :)

i'm ready to send people to Mars with it. 

P.S. I could go with a newer OS version, but i'm perfectly satisfied with my W7.

Many thanks, and good luck to all who are looking to upgrade. 
  • sawandhar
    sawandhar Member Posts: 3 New User
    can i know more details about the upgrade
  • Samuel-Acer
    Samuel-Acer Moderator Posts: 687 Moderator
    sawandhar said:
    can i know more details about the upgrade
    Please state the issue here that way it would be easy to help you.
  • edy4fun
    edy4fun Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited January 2021
    Hello everyone! I have the same old laptop and I would like to proceed upgrating the CPU from i5 to i7. I have it already :)
    Is there any tutorial on web to have a look into?
    Thanks in advance.

P.S. "greu de fumat" -  scriemi in privat pe xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    ms

[Edited comment to delete personal information]
  • billsey
    IIRC there are YouTube tear down videos, but it's pretty obvious once you take the cover off.
  • wbzb
    wbzb Member Posts: 34 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Can You tell me which BIOS version do You have?
  • Minefox
    Minefox Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited March 2022
    Hi everyone I have a Acer 5742 laptop and I upgraded the fan and put in a ssd and then I got a intel core i7-820qm quad core and when I turn on my laptop it boots in circles an doesn't display anything.
    Any ideas why it's doing this?
    Thanks

• wbzb
    wbzb Member Posts: 34 Die Hard WiFi Icon

1st gen QMs have no GPU. You need to have GPU on mainboard to use them.

• Dall
    Dall Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi how did you upgrade to the SSD?

where did you buy the i7, and what are the exat product numbers ?

• Wasou
    Wasou Member Posts: 1 New User

I have an Aspire 7741g. Would it be possible to upgrade it to an i7 940XM?

Since the CPU draws 55w, I don't know if the motherboard would be able to handle it or even if the BIOS wouldn't support the CPU.

• Niks98hii
    Niks98hii Member Posts: 1 New User

where did i found the officially bios version 1.26 ?

pls help me guys, i'm waiting my new cpu i7 640m, i upgrade my i5 450m

thanks in advance for the answer ;)

Nik

This discussion has been closed.