A717-72G-700J shutting down while playing games

mrzeus7
mrzeus7 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I've had this laptop for nearly 2 years but recently (maybe the last 2-3 months? but getting worse) it has been shutting down in the middle of any sort of mildly intensive to very intense graphics games. It has done this recently on high settings on SW:TOR and GTAV - where it didn't do this kind of shutdown before. It will just shut down with no warning, and the area above the 0-backspace keys is fairly hot so I'm guessing the GPU overheated or something. I've tried to keep an eye on its temperature via HWMonitor but since it's still pretty random, it's hard to notice. But I haven't seen either GPU or CPU temp go above 85ish C and from what I understand, that isn't super hot. The fan directly behind the hot area I felt (that I think is the GPU) is blowing hot air out, I have used compressed air too to clear it. Didn't have a ton of stuff blow out from that, and it didn't solve my problem. The laptop is already elevated and has a lot of empty space underneath it and behind it. I'm using Windows 10.

I'm not sure what else to do here, and I'm not sure what other kinds of information you'd need to help diagnose it. I just thought about updating drivers which I haven't done in a few months so I'll give that a shot. I'm always skeptical that somehow slightly out of date drivers can do weird stuff like this, but I've definitely had times where updating fixed a weird problem so I'll give it a shot.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    The paste between the heatsinks and GPU/GPU is likely dried out. Temp sensors probably are also not accurately measuring spikes well above 85*C that is tripping shutdown.  Old paste needs to be removed and re-done with a higher quality paste like ArcticMX4 or Kryonaut. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mrzeus7
    mrzeus7 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Unfortunately, that doesn't sound doable for me and sounds like a pain to have it replaced professionally. Is that the only thing it could be? 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    >>>Is that the only thing it could be? >>>I've definitely had times where updating fixed a weird problem so I'll give it a shot.>>>

Nope, it's the most likely thing from your description of it getting worse the last 2-3 months. But if you think there's a chance of updating drivers will fix the issue, then give it a shot. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ