Acer Swift 1 SD Question.

Options
DarwinSmoke
DarwinSmoke Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I am knew to this stuff my swift is coming tomorrow and like to buy extra sd storage. I want 256gb one it is

Samsung (MB-ME256GA/AM) 256GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSDXC EVO Select Memory Card with Full-Size Adapter

will this stick out and can swift handle 256gb size? Can you also put apps on it or limits like a phone? I will upgrade SSD later but still want extra.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072HRDM55/?coliid=IAG0Y06BUVK6K&colid=HC9VXTVBNJY&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    K, specs on that model say SDHC, SDXC, so you should be able to fit almost anything you can buy in. SDHC caps out at 32GB but SDXC doesn't run out until something like 2TB. The Samsung should be just fine.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Options
    Which Swift 1 did you get? There are more than one model... :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DarwinSmoke
    Options
    billsey said:
    Which Swift 1 did you get? There are more than one model... :)

My bad i bought this sorry about that.

Acer Swift 1, 14" Full HD Notebook, Intel Pentium Silver N5000, 4GB, 64GB SSD, Windows 10 Home in S mode, Office 365 Personal 1-Year, SF114-32-P2PK

Model: SF114-32-P2PK
    Walmart # 568304557

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    K, specs on that model say SDHC, SDXC, so you should be able to fit almost anything you can buy in. SDHC caps out at 32GB but SDXC doesn't run out until something like 2TB. The Samsung should be just fine.
  • DarwinSmoke
    Options
    billsey said:
    Sweet thanks will order it thanks soooo much.

• DarwinSmoke
    edited June 2020
    Options
    billsey said:
    Got it in and sticks out now i got to buy another one after i get refunded cause pandemic caused low funds... I needed one that fits not stick out So bummed been so stressed and this i was excited for... Which card do i need so nothing sticks out so i can use in my no bouch carry case?
  • billsey
    edited June 2020
    Options
    If the socket is the type that holds the card with it sticking out a bit rather than the one that is spring loaded then you are likely not going to have it sitting flush with any SD card, they are all the same shape and size.
    Can you take a pisture with the card inserted? When inserted does it show up in your OS
  • PlanetMercury
    PlanetMercury Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Options
    You can get a low profile microsd-sd adapter, put a microSD card in it and it won't stick out. They make them for raspberry Pis and some laptops.
  • DarwinSmoke
    Options
    You can get a low profile microsd-sd adapter, put a microSD card in it and it won't stick out. They make them for raspberry Pis and some laptops.

Got a link from amazon? So ocd about half hanging out.
  • billsey
    Options
    Yeah, that won't work. Those are to allow a microSD in a full size SD slot, not in a micro slot.
  • DarwinSmoke
    Options
    billsey said:
    Yeah, that won't work. Those are to allow a microSD in a full size SD slot, not in a micro slot.

Yeah i got a micro but only works if i put in full sd adapter. This in turn leaves half sticking out. So crazy how they did this bad design choice imo. So nothing i can do about it? The store would not me return it over covid thing.. I like the device but this sticking out freaks me out hit it once already by mistake. I wanted a perm option like sd on my phone.
  • PlanetMercury
    PlanetMercury Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I measured an SD card in my Swift and more than half of the card sticks out.  I'd say only about 40% goes into the slot.  So if you get one of those adapters, it may still stick out depending on which one you get.

This, for example, would still stick out a fair way.

This, less so

But the above is expensive and I'm a bit concerned about how the bit with the contacts has to be "thicker" than spec to fit the microsd card in.

I haven't tested either of these myself.

Another issue on this laptop is that it doesn't use the click-in, click-out mechanism for SD cards.  You have to be able to pull to get the card out.  If you do get one that sits flush, you may have a large amount of difficulty getting it out.