Can't recover Chromebook. Error: "An unexpected error has occurred"

Razmik
Razmik Member Posts: 2 New User
The screen suddenly froze, turned off the laptop by holding the power button. After restarting got the message "Chrome OS is missing or damaged. Please insert a recovery USB stick or SD card." Tried with two different USB sticks, didn't work. Get an error "An unexpected error has occurred". 
How can I diagnose the cause of the error? 
Looked threw similar question on the forum, looks like it's a hardware/ memory issue. 
Model: Chromebook 15, c910.

Answers

• pkw
    pkw Member Posts: 69 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Have you created the recovery usb? If not, you might try downloading the image directly and creating the recovery stick using another computer, then trying to recover.
  • Razmik
    Razmik Member Posts: 2 New User
    Yes, I did. That's what I meant by "Tried with two different USB sticks, didn't work."
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Which Chromebook do you have? Are you still in warranty? It sounds like the main drive may be having issues, and depending on model that might be a 'send it in to Acer' situation. Lots of the models have eMMC drive soldered to the MB, so they are not really replaceable.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • daha
    daha Member Posts: 4 New User
    I have the same problem the restorations fails displaying the following message an unexpected error occurred chrome os recovery as a result looking closer the error code changes between 0x02 and 0x05a
    model CB3-431Thank you for your help
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    @daha you have a different model that the original poster here in this thread. Please start a new thread (Use the Ask a Question button). Include your full model number (CB3-431-xxxx, it's likely shown on the same sticker as your SNID), what you are seeing and what you have tried so far and we will help you dig into it. Why were you trying it in the first place?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.