My Acer Aspire R5-471T is charging intermittently and sometime the battery dies + need more RAM

Options
TarekAHF
TarekAHF Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have Acer Aspire R5-471T, SNID: XXXXX, and I never changed the battery for the past 4 years. I noticed recently that the laptop is charging intermittently and sometimes the battery just dies. It seems it is either a loose connection or the battery needs replacement. Sometimes I must move the wire around or wiggle the jack to make it charge.

Today, the laptop was not charging. I had to perform a battery reset using a pin on the backside. After some manipulation, it started charging. I am not sure how long it will work.

- How I can troubleshoot the issue if it is a loose connection or battery issue? The Acer Center is providing Good Health Check status for the battery.

- How I can find the battery model for battery replacement?

- Where I can do service repair the loose connection if needed?

- How I can increase the RAM from 8GB to max possible? What is the part number of the RAM and from where I can buy one?

I appreciate your help.

Edited the content to hide personal and sensitive information
Acer-Samuel

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Sorry, yes that's what the DC-In cable is. It connects to the MB and put the power jack in the proper place without needing to extend the MB over to there.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Options
    Battery part numbers:
    I believe this model has the RAM soldered to the board, so no memory upgrades are possible.
    There is a DC-In cable that contains the power socket under the hinge on that side. It's also replaceable and the part numbers are:

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • TarekAHF

Tinkerer

edited June 2020
    Options
    billsey said:
    Battery part numbers:
    I believe this model has the RAM soldered to the board, so no memory upgrades are possible.
    There is a DC-In cable that contains the power socket under the hinge on that side. It's also replaceable and the part numbers are:

Many thanks... 
    The DC IN-CABLE is the part the fits inside the laptop that the wire plugs in to?

Can you provide the details for the charging wire the plugs into the laptop? I think the wire has problem too. 

How did you find the above details? I searched everywhere but no luck. 

Thank you so much! 

Edited the content to hide personal information
    Acer-Samuel
  • billsey
    Options
    The power adapter is pretty standard, it's a 19V with a barrel plug that's 3.0x1.1mm and at least 7.5mm long. Try and make sure you don't get one that's actually 1.35mm inside instead of 1.1, you'll find yourself always wiggling it to get a good connection.
    The images are from the service manual, we're not allowed to share the manual itself, but can post snippets from it like those.
  • TarekAHF

Tinkerer

edited June 2020
    Options
    billsey said:
    The power adapter is pretty standard, it's a 19V with a barrel plug that's 3.0x1.1mm and at least 7.5mm long. Try and make sure you don't get one that's actually 1.35mm inside instead of 1.1, you'll find yourself always wiggling it to get a good connection.
    The images are from the service manual, we're not allowed to share the manual itself, but can post snippets from it like those.
    Many thanks again... 

Just to remind you to answer this question:

The DC IN-CABLE shown in the picture is this the part the fits inside the laptop that the wire/jack plugs in to?

Acer-Samuel
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Sorry, yes that's what the DC-In cable is. It connects to the MB and put the power jack in the proper place without needing to extend the MB over to there.
  • TarekAHF

Tinkerer

edited June 2020
    Options
    I didn't replace the battery yet. It seems after wiggling the pin/jack, it started charging. However, just a few days ago, I noticed that the area around the battery becomes hot which is unusual. Also, when I unplug the charger, it will run out in about 20 minutes which is also unusual.

Is there a way to verify the acceptable level of heat around the battery area? I put my hand above the keyboard (on the metal part) which I think just above the battery compartment, I can feel the heat, but it is not hurting me. I can say it is above warm.

How I can verify if the fan is working? I remember I used to hear the sound of the fan turning on and off frequently and clearly. Now, I can hear a sound that seems like it is coming from the fan, but it is not like before. So I am not sure it is the fan or not.

I appreciate your help.

Tarek
  • billsey
    Options
    Try a battery recalibration, it sounds like it might be trying to over charge it. To recalibrate run it on battery until it shuts down due to low battery, then plug it in and charge all the way before turning it back on. Rinse and repeat a few times...
  • TarekAHF

Tinkerer

Options
    I am taking advantage of the holidays to replace the battery. I fixed the wiggling issue and the only problem is that the battery will be at 50% after 30 minutes. I am having doubts about where to buy the battery from. For example, I found many matching items for KT.00403.027 from Walmart Canada, but not sure if this is the original part or it is a good replacement. Also, when I search for the exact item description, I either the item is sold out, or it is from a US site (I want a Canadian online shop).

I found the following links for example:
    - https://www.canadalaptopbattery.com/acer-battery/acer-aspire-r5-471t-laptop-battery.htm
    - https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/BattPit-Laptop-Battery-Replacement-for-Acer-Aspire-V3-112P-P994-AC14B3K-AC14B8J-AC14B8K-KT-00403-027-KT-0040G-004/PRD4RUU02H55QHL

It would be great if you can point me to a sample site where I can find the item that I can trust it will be a good replacement.

And, do you think it is possible to replace the battery myself, or shall I send it to the service shop?

Regards,
    Tarek

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    edited December 2020
    Options
    TarekAHF said:
    billsey said:
    Many thanks again... 

Just to remind you to answer this question:

The DC IN-CABLE shown in the picture is this the part the fits inside the laptop that the wire/jack plugs in to?

Acer-Samuel
    The replacement of the DC/Jack plug and cable is only done if the female power plug is faulty and you don't get a good connection with the chargers male plug, I've replaced these cables many time for that reason and its very easy. 

With the battery replacement, unfortunately most replacement batteries come from China and are cheap and not of good quality, they are sold on Amazon, eBay and  retail shops! Some are very problematic with the exact monitoring information given with "Windows Task Manager Power Level" reading(s), as that is not reliable also. I would ask Acer Parts for what they suggest or they sell as the OEM battery replacement(s) for your Aspire R5-471T but, they will probably sell you a Made in China products anyway. I've had many issues with replacement of cheap or even expensive "so called OEM" batteries from Amazon, eBay etc as they don't hold a charge or drain their charge (yes I have them in the charger all the time and/or I calibrated them) but and still, the "Windows Power Option Level Charge %" reading(s), shows all sorts of percentage levels irrespectively.

My advice to you is and if you buy a none OEM battery or even an oem battery is this, charge it fully first and don't keep it on the  Aspire R5-471T PS/Charger all the time, disconnect it and let the battery power off and drain completely (every 3 months) and recharge it, as that will fix most of the things in regards to charging and prolonging your batteries life. Best is to read this extensive guide of “How to Calibrate Your Laptop Battery” here: https://techviral.net/calibrate-laptop-battery/good luck.

• TarekAHF

Tinkerer

edited December 2020
    Options
    Thanks for the wonderful info. I will keep the original battery, it's safer. I don't want to risk having fire or damage due to low battery quality. I will follow the instructions about battery recalibration. If I come across a battery that can be trusted, I will then replace it.

Can you please tell me what is the average battery use time after a full charge? Mine will shut down after about 50 minutes of continuous use.

Tarek