Linux support A3-A20

Options
RobinSchapendonk
RobinSchapendonk Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 18 in 2020 Archives
The (input) screen of my tablet died (I can still see that it starts, but I can't type my password). Its 5 years old, so not worth repairing. Is there a way I can install linux on it (and which one does work), then use SSH / VNC to control it?

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options
    Probably not without being able to see what you are doing, even if it's possible.
  • RobinSchapendonk
    Options
    philetus said:
    Probably not without being able to see what you are doing, even if it's possible.
    I can see the screen, but the swipe / touch doesn't work.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Try plugging a keyboard in...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • RobinSchapendonk
    Options
    billsey said:
    Try plugging a keyboard in...
    I don't have usb (keyboard) to microusb (tablet)
  • billsey
    Options
    The USB to microUSB cables aren't too tough to find, look for OTG (On The Go) support.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • RobinSchapendonk
    Options
    But if I buy that, would that make any difference in supporting Linux?
  • billsey
    edited June 2020
    Options
    No, it would just allow you to see what's on a USB drive or allow use of an external keyboard. My guess is that changing the tablet from Android to Linux is going to require some boot loader magic (and may not be possible even with magic), and of course we can't discuss that here.
  • RobinSchapendonk
    Options
    I'm just asking if the hardware supports booting from Linux, but if you say "some magic" that sounds for me to a no
  • billsey
    Options
    That's what I would say also... :)
  • billsey
    Options
    @Adilraza you should start a new thread with your question, so it can be marked complete later, assuming we actually complete it. :) Include the full model number, the symptoms you are seeing and what you have tried so far.