My Acer Nitro 5 would rather throttle than turn up the fans. Why?

Options

Answers

• Ninjakitty844
    Ninjakitty844 Member Posts: 38 Troubleshooter
    Options
    @Ninjakitty844
    Use hard-flat surface for better ventilation
    When did you buy this laptop?
    Btw, it is GPU or CPU because undervolt only affects CPU

I always have my laptop on a flat surface. I bought in the second half of 2019, can't remember exact month. It's definitely the CPU overheating. Even at 99 percent usage the GPU barely gets hot.
  • GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,347 Pathfinder
    Options
    @Ninjakitty844
    1)You need clean your fans,air vents(important)
    2)apply new thermal paste (default one is not good and need to replace after sometime)
    I recommend you to buy and use grizzly kryonaut thermal paste 

(Note→apply thermal paste correctly remove old compound before applying new one Most of the time people apply too much thermal paste. The point of the paste is not to sit like a layer of mayonnaise between the CPU and heatsink. The job of the paste is to fill in microscopic air gaps between the CPU and heatsink. The vast majority of the heat transfer is via metal-on-metal contact - it's about 100x more effective at transferring heat than the paste (which in turn is about 100x more effective than air). If the paste is thick enough to decrease the amount of metal-on-metal contact, it will actually make things worse than having no thermal paste at all.

Need to apply tiny amount)
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • Ninjakitty844
    Options
    @Ninjakitty844
    1)You need clean your fans,air vents(important)
    2)apply new thermal paste (default one is not good and need to replace after sometime)
    I recommend you to buy and use grizzly kryonaut thermal paste 

(Note→apply thermal paste correctly remove old compound before applying new one Most of the time people apply too much thermal paste. The point of the paste is not to sit like a layer of mayonnaise between the CPU and heatsink. The job of the paste is to fill in microscopic air gaps between the CPU and heatsink. The vast majority of the heat transfer is via metal-on-metal contact - it's about 100x more effective at transferring heat than the paste (which in turn is about 100x more effective than air). If the paste is thick enough to decrease the amount of metal-on-metal contact, it will actually make things worse than having no thermal paste at all.

Need to apply tiny amount)

I've already cleaned the air vents and applied thermal grizzly kryonaut (yes I pasted it properly, as far as I know). There was no noticable before/after difference that I could tell by looking at temperatures in Nitrosense.
  • GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,347 Pathfinder
    Options
    @Ninjakitty844
    Try to reset your window then update your gpu driver and check.

If problem still persists your laptop need to check by technician for that get in touch with acer costumer care in your region ↓
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • Ninjakitty844
    Options
    @Ninjakitty844
    Try to reset your window then update your gpu driver and check.

If problem still persists your laptop need to check by technician for that get in touch with acer costumer care in your region ↓
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/

I'm not sure what you mean by resetting my Window. As in reinstalling Windows? There is a new update for my GPU (from 3 days ago), I'll install it now
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I think he referred to the command alt + f10. What happens when you press alt + f10 before the acer logo?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Ninjakitty844
    Options
    I think he referred to the command alt + f10. What happens when you press alt + f10 before the acer logo?

Doesn't that like reset your computer to factory settings...? I have a lot of files on here I need to keep.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,747 Trailblazer
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I think colleague @GAMING6698 was doing this:

I prefer to backup the files to another storage unit.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Ninjakitty844
    Options
    I think colleague @GAMING6698 was doing this:

I prefer to backup the files to another storage unit.

Aight so this is 100% a coincidence, but I got completely rekt by Windows updates today. It installed some very problematic updates even though I had updates paused, and I was no longer able to use any network, so I couldn't get internet on my laptop. But now everything's back to normal aside from a few casualties:
    • My laptop forgot which apps to open with which programs, so it uses "Groove" (bleugh) instead of Windows Media player for MP3 files
    • I lost some programs I uninstalled in the process of troubleshooting
    • I have a corrupted update installed that I can't get rid of because I get an error when I try to uninstall
    • Windows deleted every single restore point I ever had in favor of making one in the broken state my laptop was in
    • And for whatever reason the network I'm connected to now has a 2 at the end of its name

So for now I am steering clear of anything to do with resetting or restoring my computer.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    But are the fans still in trouble? About the network problem, have you tried to uninstall and delete the wireless network card driver in the device manager?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Ninjakitty844
    Options
    But are the fans still in trouble? About the network problem, have you tried to uninstall and delete the wireless network card driver in the device manager?

I fixed the network problem (I did reinstall the network card driver, but that isn't what fixed the problem). Most things are back to normal at this point. I still have a corrupted Windows update that can't be uninstalled though. My computer still gets hot but I do not want to reinstall Windows to fix it (I doubt that would fix it anyway)
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Can you try to restore windows to a date prior to the update? What happens when you change the processor to 99% here?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Ninjakitty844
    Options
    Can you try to restore windows to a date prior to the update? What happens when you change the processor to 99% here?

I cannot restore windows because it deleted all of the restore points I've ever made :)
    I have tried setting my processor min and max to 99%, it makes no difference
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you checked if version 1.30 of the bios solves the problem?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Ninjakitty844
    Options
    Have you checked if version 1.30 of the bios solves the problem?

I've heard the new bios update has problems. The keyboard light will turn off even if the laptop is plugged in. I don't want that to happen.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Could you tell me where you found this information?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Ninjakitty844
    Options
    Actually my bad, it seems I already have whichever update turns off your keyboard even when plugged in. How do I check my bios version and where do I find new updates?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    You can check in the acer care center

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Ninjakitty844
    Options

Acer Care Center is not on my laptop and there is no download for it anywhere on Acer's website.
  • Ninjakitty844
    Options

Acer Care Center is not on my laptop and there is no download for it anywhere on Acer's website.

Nevermind, it's installed but it's called care cente not Acer care center, so I wasn't finding it when searching in the start menu xd