Acer Aspire One D257 RAM query

Options
scuzzmonster
scuzzmonster Member Posts: 1 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi. Greetings to one and all. New to this forum and bit of a long shot, this, but maybe you can help. Was seeking to increase the ram on my Aspire One D257 to 2GB. Checked Crucial website and bought the - I thought - appropriate RAM for my machine only to find it didn't even fit. If any other members of the forum have experienced this, could you point me in the direction of the definitive RAM required, please? Thanks. (Top two pics are re: the 2GB RAM. Bottom one is of the original 1GB RAM in my machine.)

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @scuzzmonster

System Memory for this model is Single-channel DDR3 SDRAM with one soDIMM module:
    „Up to 1 GB of DDR3 system memory (for Windows 7 Start for small notebook PCs)
    „Up to 2 GB of DDR3 system memory (for other operating systems)

This model supports Memory size DDRIII 1333 1 GB or 2 GB
    has only 1DIMM socket with support for maximum memory size 2 GB with DIMM Speed 800/1066 SDRAM and DIMM voltage 1.5V with DIMM package Standard 204P
    Note: Processor supports up to 1066 Mhz only
    Here are some of the officially supported memory modules for this model.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!  
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,378 Trailblazer
    Options
    Actually the memory used is PC3-10600 DDR3-1333MHz in the SO-DIMM package, which matches several of the chips Sharanji listed. Note, not the low power DDR3L, the normal DDR3. The 2GB maximum is correct however, and you should be running 32bit Windows due to that memory constraint.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,448 Trailblazer
    Options
    I've got an Aspire One Happy2 with the Intel Atom N570 @ 1.66GHz that I've upgraded its ram to 1x DDR3 PC3-10700 (667MHz) Single 2048Mbytes (timings at: 10.0-9-9-24-33 at 1.5V) and it works perfectly, btw 2GB is the max that the Aspire One can take. The ram that you have is too fast at 1600MHz and the voltage is too low at DDR3L at 1.3V, that is why it doesn't work. Just as a bit of advice, the Aspire One series are low spec laptop as 2GB is their max ram capacity and are not suitable for 64bit OP's but only suitable for 32bit OP systems.

Aspire One Happy2 SPD