New M.2 SATA SSD not detected on Aspire F5-573G-70EB laptop

Options
ARUH
ARUH Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi,
I just added an M.2 SATA SSD 2280 to my Aspire F5-573G-70EB laptop but it was not detected.
I restarted in Bios, I could see the original HDD0 model and serial number, and the new HDD1 Model and serial number which means something in my computer is able to see this SSD. 
Do I need to do any further steps?

I know the SSD works as I was able to connect it to the computer with a USB adapter, and I was able to transfer some files to it.

I searched the acer support for my laptop model but couldn't find any info on the M.2 support. I can't tell if it supports NVME or SATA on this M.2 port. 

What can I do to make this thing run?

My bios version is v1.18. 
In the support page it has several bios updates up to v.1.27 I think but it doesn't mention anything about the M.2 port.

I saw in some older questions something about the PCI Express version and Maximum Link Width. 
Its version 3.0 , and Maximum Link Width 2x as per attached screenshot

The laptop has an Intel i7-7500U processer , 16 GB ram, Nvidia GTX 950M, and 2TB HDD

Appreciating your help

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,132 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hi,
    This model supports both types of M.2 SSD, have you migrated the OS to it or you have still kept the OS in your old HDD? Please post the Disk management snip.
  • ARUH
    Options
    Hi,
    This model supports both types of M.2 SSD, have you migrated the OS to it or you have still kept the OS in your old HDD? Please post the Disk management snip.

Surprisingly, after restarting the computer it detected the new drive. I got no clue how or why :open_mouth: . I moved files back and forth from it.

To answer your questions, no I didn't migrate the OS. I just added it and run the computer.
    OS is still in old HDD
    New M.2 SSD is blank except for some movie files for testing.

Now I got another question, you mentioned that my model supports both M.2 SSD protocols, where can I find such info? I kept looking left and right and i was starting to lose hope until I found some of your older replies on other threads and they gave me hope again (thank you).

• brummyfan2
    edited May 2020
    Options
    No problem, you can find most of the information in this forum.
  • ARUH
    Options
    Do you think there is any point in updating the bios from 1.18 to 1.27? would I feel any difference?
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    ARUH said:
    Do you think there is any point in updating the bios from 1.18 to 1.27? would I feel any difference?
    No, you won't notice any performance improvement, as long as you have no problems I would suggest you ignore it.