XMP/AN715-51-73AX

Jimmygerrard
Jimmygerrard Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi folks

I bought this laptop and have swapped out the 2x4GB sticks with the following: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-Ballistix-BL2K8G26C16S4B-Laptop-Gaming/dp/B083W1BKWZ

My previous RAM was running at 2666Mhz but the new ones seem to be running at 2400Mhz despite being advertised as 2666Mhz. Seems I need to activate the XMP profile in order to get that but I cannot find it in the BIOS...have Crucial had me over on this?

I paid a technician to fit the RAM (and a HDD) for me as I did not want to mess about with it, so it’s not as easy as taking it out and sending it back :angry:

Thanks

Jimmy

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    These modules have an automatic overclocking feature which is not available in AN715-51, there's no XMP support in most laptops, as far as I know, your modules are running at JEDEC profile hence the 2400MHz frequency shown in CPU-z.

• Jimmygerrard
    So effectively I am stuck with it running at 2400Mhz? :(

Nowhere on the amazon page does it say this, and I also saw just now that someone else with a Nitro 7 had the same issue as me. Not happy at all!
  • brummyfan2
    So effectively I am stuck with it running at 2400Mhz? :(

Nowhere on the amazon page does it say this, and I also saw just now that someone else with a Nitro 7 had the same issue as me. Not happy at all!
    Unfortunately, yes you are stuck with it but it might be useful for the future in a new laptop.
  • I believe that colleague @JordanB had suggested buying this ram in other topic: https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX426S15IB2_16.pdf
    See that this memory despite having the xmp profiles, has jedec 2666mhz as well. Contrary to the crucial memory!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Jimmygerrard
    i didnt buy the Hyper X RAM because Kingston could not guarantee 100% that it would be compatible whereas Crucial did...grrr. Amazon have offered me half the money back if I want to keep it so just got to decide what I want to do. Not confident enough to change it myself so looks like I am stuck with it :(
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    All else being equal, you wouldn’t notice the difference. Benchmarking may point out  a little advantage though. But in general you will be not able to see the "improvement"  of putting 2666 ram.
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• brummyfan2
    Hi @Jimmygerrard
    I would take the money offered by Amazon and keep the modules  =)
  • Jimmygerrard
    I think I will as £31.50 for 16GB of CL16 RAM is a good deal I guess, but it annoys me that what I have put in at extra expense is slower than what was in there, bit of a principle thing  :)
  • batmalin
    Well you still have double your ram for a very good price and as for the slower speed did you ever notice a decrease in the performance or you are talking what`s on paper annoys you?

• Jimmygerrard
    Not noticed a speed difference yet but anyway, seems I am stuck with it. Anyone know why Acer don’t allow XMP?
  • batmalin
    You have to ask Acer... we are volonteers (users like you) helping other users.

• Why is it necessary for the xmp profiles to be made available in the bios. I think that the latest models of laptops, are capable of accepting a ram with xmp profile. But it is necessary, that the bios contains this function.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Jimmygerrard
    Ibatmalin said:
    You have to ask Acer... we are volonteers (users like you) helping other users.
    i know bud, i was hypothesising about the reasons why Acer might have decided not to include XMP profiles in the BIOS. Anyway, had a few vodka oranges and bought the Hyper X modules you posted as they have a 2666Mhz Jedec profile, might even be able to make a profit selling on the Crucial ones!
  • batmalin
    Great and cheers!

• Jimmygerrard
    Just to close this topic out as I know it comes up sometimes, I installed the Hyper X Impact today. No compatibility issues and it runs at 2666Mhz. Just one issue, CL-15-17-17 is only achievable with XMP, the JEDEC profile is CL16-17-17 so Kingston’s marketing is also off slightly. Nevertheless, good enough!
  • batmalin
    Glad that you have resolved the issue.