How can I use my Radeon Rx 560X GPU instead of my AMD Radeon Vega 8??

edxxxn
edxxxn Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
(sry for my bad english)
Hello everyone, I have a laptop (acer nitro 5 laptop with ryzen processor) which has 2 GPUs:
AMD Radeon (TM) Vega 8 Graphics & Radeon RX 560X series
The problem is that the laptop uses the AMD radeon vega 8 by default and don't want to use the RX 560x whilst the RX 560x is better. So my question is: How can I tell my pc to use the better one in priority?
I'll give you an illustration of my problem

I've already tried all the tutorials I could find but the Radeon software (Adrenalin) has been updated so the tutorials are outdated :((
hoping you understood me, thanks for reading !!

Best Answer

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,073 Pathfinder
    edited May 2020 Answer ✓
    @edxxxn
    First Rx560x is dedicated GPU and it will only run when there is demand for high performance like gaming.

Set high performance power plan in nitrosense both AC AND BATTERY THEN CLOSE

Then open amd radeon software(20.4.2 is latest version)add your game .exe file under gaming tab then launch your game from there

If problem still persists then
    -After setting up from nitrosense right click on battery option in taskbar and go to power option
    -then go to change plan setting (right side of the high performance plan)
    -Then go to change advance power settings
    -Then find and expand Switchable Dynamic Graphics then expand Global Settings and set maximize performance in both PLUGGED IN AND ON BATTERY
    -then find amd graphics power settings then expand Amd powerplay settings and set maximize performance in both PLUGGED IN AND ON BATTERY
    -set maximum performance if you have this option available
    -Apply→ok →check your game FPS
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566

Answers

• NikPalPro
    NikPalPro Member Posts: 36 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited May 2020
    edxxxn said:
    The problem is that the laptop uses the AMD radeon vega 8 by default and don't want to use the RX 560x whilst the RX 560x is better. So my question is: How can I tell my pc to use the better one in priority?
    So here is the thing - The RX560X consumes 75W of power, the Vega 8 consumes 15 Watts combined with the Ryzen 5 3550H.

When you are doing trivial stuff like browsing the net, watching a video, staring at your beautiful Desktop Wallpaper, the 75W power consumption is extremely unnecessary. You are better off with the Vega 8. For this reason, Acer disables the RX560X. Even more unfortunately, disabling this "feature" of power saving (called Optimus of NVidia) is impossible on the Nitro line-up. Acer was kind of extremely worried about battery life on the Nitro.

But don't worry, gaming, video editing, Rendering, the RX560X will automatically kick-in.

edxxxn said:
    I've already tried all the tutorials I could find but the Radeon software (Adrenalin) has been updated so the tutorials are outdated :((
    hoping you understood me, thanks for reading !!
    So, if it doesn't kick-in even on intensive tasks, you can go to Adrenaline and manually set RX560X as default for all the apps/games/software you want it to run as default.
    I would suggest to only use it for the important apps where GPU performance is very crucial, 75 Watts of power drain is genuinely not worth.
  • edxxxn

Tinkerer

Ty for your reply,
    NikPalPro said:
    But don't worry, gaming, video editing, Rendering, the RX560X will automatically kick-in.
    But even on intesives tasks the GPU doesn't kicks-in :( 
    NikPalPro said:
    So, if it doesn't kick-in even on intensive tasks, you can go to Adrenaline and manually set RX560X as default for all the apps/games/software you want it to run as default.
    I would suggest to only use it for the important apps where GPU performance is very crucial, 75 Watts of power drain is genuinely not worth.
    I don't know how to do that, can you explain it to me please? I searched the internet but all the tutorials I saw were made for the old version of the Adrenaline software and I can't find myself where to find this option in the new software.
  • GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,073 Pathfinder
    edited May 2020 Answer ✓
    @edxxxn
    First Rx560x is dedicated GPU and it will only run when there is demand for high performance like gaming.

Set high performance power plan in nitrosense both AC AND BATTERY THEN CLOSE

Then open amd radeon software(20.4.2 is latest version)add your game .exe file under gaming tab then launch your game from there

If problem still persists then
    -After setting up from nitrosense right click on battery option in taskbar and go to power option
    -then go to change plan setting (right side of the high performance plan)
    -Then go to change advance power settings
    -Then find and expand Switchable Dynamic Graphics then expand Global Settings and set maximize performance in both PLUGGED IN AND ON BATTERY
    -then find amd graphics power settings then expand Amd powerplay settings and set maximize performance in both PLUGGED IN AND ON BATTERY
    -set maximum performance if you have this option available
    -Apply→ok →check your game FPS
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • edxxxn

Tinkerer

@GAMING6698
    Omg it works !!! Ily thank you so much !!  <3

• GAMING6698