How to fix no bootable device? - acer aspire 3

MartinLee99
MartinLee99 Member Posts: 21 Troubleshooter
edited June 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hi I am having trouble with my acer aspire 3 and it keeps saying no bootable device please restart system even if I try booting the device please help. If anyone can help text me —->  

//Edited the content to add model name.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    Shut machine off. Press and hold F2 key then turn machine back on. The BIOS menu should appear. Is the hard drive recognized in the BIOS both the Information tab and the boot tab? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MartinLee99
    edited May 2020

This is what it shows

Edited the content to hide sensitive information
    Acer-Samuel
  • JackE
    NO!!!! You must change the boot mode back to UEFI. You can't boot to Windows in legacy mode overlay on a GPT partitioned HDD/SSD. You cannot dual boot in legacy mode overlay or you will lose your Windows GPT partitions if you try to convert the HDD/SSD to MBR partitioning.

If you want to dual boot, you must install the other operating system in UEFI mode from a bootable USB installation iso prepared with Rufus that can install the system to a GPT partitioned HDD/SSD.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MartinLee99
    @JackE

Okay I changed to uefi what do I do now
  • JackE
    Save UEFI setting and exit BIOS. If it doesn't boot, then press and hold power button till laptop shuts off. Then turn it back on again. It should boot back to Windows ****ONLY IF**** you didn't try to convert the HDD/SSD to MBR partitioning in legacy overlay mode. If in fact you did convert to MBR partitioning in legacy overly mode, the ACER Windows system partition is lost. You then must re-install Win10 from a USB installation stick. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• MartinLee99

Guess I’ll have to get a installation usb. do you know where u can get one?
  • JackE
    You can get the free generic Win10 version using Microsoft's USB media creation tool at this link https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. Or if the machine was purchased in the US or CA, you can order the original factory-installed ACER OEM Win10 version based on the machine's serial number id (SNID) from the ACER online store for about $50USD. You're probably OK to install the free generic version but might have to download some ACER device drivers from the ACER download site to get al the hardware  working properly. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• vidcdrive
    vidcdrive Member Posts: 2 New User
    Acer travel mate lb series sets no bootable device how to fix it? Help 
  • JackE
    Press and hold power button till machine shuts off. Then turn it back on and immediately start tapping the F2 key. The BIOS menu should appear. Please post phoneshots of the BIOS Information and Boot tabs. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JOHNDAVEE
    JOHNDAVEE Member Posts: 2 New User
    Here!!
  • JackE
    You have an old laptop that only has BIOS mode, no UEFI. The hard drive is either not connected, not installed or has failed. Please start your own new thread and describe what happened. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JOHNDAVEE
    JOHNDAVEE Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited November 2020
    JackE
    My laptop used to have a virus. everything was erased and then my uncle just fixed it. yesterday my brother played and then suddenly had no bootable device
  • JackE
    Please ask your uncle to take a look at it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jaripar3
    jaripar3 Member Posts: 2 New User
    no start bios
  • jaripar3
    jaripar3 Member Posts: 2 New User
    operating system not found
  • JackE

This thread is a year old. Please start your own new thread by clicking on 'ask a question' button. Please reveal your full ACER model number. For example S3-391.

Jack E/NJ