Acer Spin 1 (SP111-31) will not boot

grinspoon
grinspoon Member Posts: 6 New User
I have been having an issue where my Acer Spin 1 will not boot. When turned on, the screen stays off. I have tried the following, but have had no luck:

1) Use the battery reset button.
2) Re-seating all the cables, HDD, ram and battery.
3) Booting using an external monitor to test if it is just the screen.
4) Reset the CMOS.
5) pressing fn+f5 and pressing fn+f6.
6) Using a different HDD with a known working version of windows 10 from my other laptop.
7) Removing the hdd entirely and attempting to boot off a boot-able live Kali image running from a USB.
8) Allowing the battery to run dead, charge it partly and tried to turn on.
9) Allowing the battery to run dead, charge it fully and tried to turn on.

Extra notes:
- I have used an external mouse via USB to test if it is fully dead, the mouse powers on, but not all the lighting on the mouse lights up, indicating that it is only receiving power, but no data is being sent.
- I am unable to get into the BIOS at all
- The laptop does not post at all
- If the laptop is partially charged and the power cable is removed, it "beeps" once, indicating that it is hopefully not entirely dead.
- The blue power light does come on
- The orange charging indicator light turns on when charging

Answers

• Did this issue occur after a failed attempt to update the bios?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Argie
    Argie Member Posts: 5 New User
    I did the same and yes after bios update.  Did the the update 100% then rebooted to black screen.  Does the beeping with power cord plugged in and out. Any knowledge on how to fix?
    thanks.
  • Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • grinspoon
    No I had not performed a BIOS update as I usually only do that when critical. As an extra note, I have added a piece of paper under the rubber that holds down the button just to be sure that it is not causing the issue, but unfortunately it has not fixed it
  • When you connect an external monitor to the hdmi port, is the image displayed? Have you tried to reset the lition battery?

https://www.youtube.com/NfhgnxUJoZo
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• grinspoon
    Yes I have tried the reset button. Nothing displays on an external screen
  • Have you tested with another ram and also with another rtc battery?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• grinspoon
    Unfortunately I do not have any spare ram on hand as my other laptop uses DDR4. I do not have a spare battery, but I did check it with my multimeter and the voltage looks fine
  • When the ram is defective or the motherboard does not detect the ram, the main symptom is that the image is not displayed on the display and the POST in bios does not occur either.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• grinspoon
    OK awesome, thank you for the assistance. I will try to get my hands on some spare RAM
  • Argie
    I still have issue.  Seems like everything was working fine.  Then I go to update bios and boom black screen.  Any other suggestions?
  • @ArgieDo you also have the model SP111-31?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Argie
    Yes I do. 
  • @Argie and @grinspoon Did you try to update the bios before the problem occurred?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Argie
    Yes I did.
  • In this case, access the bios and press f9 to restore the bios and then f10.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Argie
    How do I do that?  I.e.  how do I get to bios, because the screen is black/blank when turned on. Do I boot up and hold f9 them wait a few seconds and hit f10 ...all while in the dark???
  • Can you record a video of the problem and post it on youtube, so that I can see what's going on?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• grinspoon
    egydiocoelho I managed to get my hands on some spare RAM, unfortunately this did not solve the issue. How do I get to the BIOS if the machine does not POST? Let me know if you need me to post a video of the issue as well
  • Have you checked if there are any buttons similar to this one on the other side of the motherboard?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer