Acer Nitro 5 black screen? Not turning on? Keyboard not working? I may have found the solution.

2»

Answers

• fazedump
    fazedump Member Posts: 44 Troubleshooter
    DabNaggit said:
    I had this happen after redoing my thermal paste, etc. Tried to fire it up before closing it up and it did the black screen, etc.

The pressure switch is under the panel covering the RAM. It's small. A little black box with a smaller black pin poking upwards that is pushed in when the cover is in place. Start there. I figured saving someone this hassle (and brick-sh*tting) was worth registering to comment.
    same thing i redid the thermal paste and my laptop wasn't turning on i was so pist and almost spent like 700 on a new motherboard then i found this fourm  and it worked so thx very much
  • viktorkalev
    viktorkalev Member Posts: 2 New User
    Tezrah said:
    I may have found the solution to some power issues with the Acer Nitro 5. If you have tried to power on your laptop by resetting the battery (holding down the pinhole for 5 sec in the back with some models), or have tried holding down the power button to reset and turn it on again, and it as not worked, it may be a keyboard/hardware issue.

Apparently, there is a pressurized micro-switch somewhere in the middle of the keyboard, near the letters X C V D F. I pressed down near that spot and push the power button at the same time, and finally the laptop turned on. For safe measure, I put pressure on the spot below the letters of the keyboard. This also works the same way when typing with other keys on the keyboard. Don't press down too hard, otherwise you may damage the internal hardware.

I have the same issue and i was going to send my laptop on warranty repair but i checked online for some help and found your post. The thing that is worrying me - my warranty is expiring in one month and is it a good idea to send my laptop on service and to fix any issues before it can become worse next year potentially? 
  • @viktorkalev If your laptop doesn't have a warranty seal, I would check the keyboard connector.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • TimeTravel
    TimeTravel Member Posts: 2 New User
    My AN517-51 had the same problem. I removed the back cover and the battery and then disconnected both ends of the ribbon cable shown in the pic. Bad connection? Did it reset something? No Idea, but it did start working again after doing this.

• Bwolkwitz63
    Bwolkwitz63 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Tezrah said:
    I may have found the solution to some power issues with the Acer Nitro 5. If you have tried to power on your laptop by resetting the battery (holding down the pinhole for 5 sec in the back with some models), or have tried holding down the power button to reset and turn it on again, and it as not worked, it may be a keyboard/hardware issue.

Apparently, there is a pressurized micro-switch somewhere in the middle of the keyboard, near the letters X C V D F. I pressed down near that spot and push the power button at the same time, and finally the laptop turned on. For safe measure, I put pressure on the spot below the letters of the keyboard. This also works the same way when typing with other keys on the keyboard. Don't press down too hard, otherwise you may damage the internal hardware.
    Wow. It worked !!
    But I have letters not working on the keyboard which was the beginning of the problem. 
  • About the keys, have you checked if the same problem occurs when installing a live Linux distribution? Does the same problem occur when connecting an external usb keyboard? what is the bios version?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • aathith29
    aathith29 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Tezrah said:

Thankyou so much. It was very helpful
  • Dawg
    Dawg Member Posts: 1 New User
    Kamado said:
    acer AN517-51. Some of my key(T, U, P, V,5,1,3,6,DEL,SPACE,VOL LOW, BRI HIG)are not working and I don't have hole in the back of my laptop so i can't do battery reset. Please tell me how to solve this problem
    This is happening to me too did u fix it or is it still the same?
  • @Dawg Check here:
    TimeTravel said: My AN517-51 had the same problem. I removed the back cover and the battery and then disconnected both ends of the ribbon cable shown in the pic. Bad connection? Did it reset something? No Idea, but it did start working again after doing this.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• avirx
    avirx Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited September 2021

Hi @Tezrah It has been a 14 months I'm using this budget gaming system i.e Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-43-R2M9), it worked awesome for me in all aspects, but since 4 days I'm wondering why am I facing this weird power issue on my notebook? I have gone through all the threads here including yours and found this small hack of pressing "XCVDF + power button" simultaneously and yes it worked exactly the same but I'm still in that glitch of "pressurized micro-switch" at the bottom of the motherboard after turning it upside-down. Spent 4 straight hours in finding that ***** but didn't succeeded. Later I have loosed all my hopes and wasted all my energy in finding the root cause behind this hack of pressing key combinations.

I just have a humble request from all you geeks here that, what the hell of reason is behind this hardware issue? Is it related to the keyboard or motherboard? can't figure it out. And what could be the possible permanent solution for this?

I'll be eagerly waiting for the responses from any of you geeks.  <3 from India.
    Tezrah said:

• @avirxCan you check the bios version?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Dawg,

May I know the full model name of your unit.

• avirx
    avirx Member Posts: 2 New User
    Tezrah said:

Pressing this pressurized micro-switch works perfectly but how to get it back working normally when it was purchased?? Which hardware part need to replace?? Can you please suggest something feasible?? because doing this daily just to turn on your system is irritating.
  • Kreso
    Kreso Member Posts: 1 New User
    I HAVE FOUND FINAL SOLUTION FOR THIS ISSUE.
    I have 3 exactly same ACER Nitro 5 bought at same time and after some time all have started to have same symptoms: Keyboard not working properly and sometimes it won't turn on (because power button at the keyboard is not working). 
    I have spent days trying to find "micro switch", reseting battery, changing BIOS battery, disassembling and assembling everyting and at the end I have found exactly what was wrong. It is acctually quite simple. Ribbon connector (which connects keyboard in my opinion) was not properly installed - nothing else. You just need to remove battery (to have better access), remove black tape which holds ribbon connector (shown at the photo) and correctly press small  black plastic ribon holder (shown at the photo). That ribbon connector have two black holders - one on each side. Ribbon holder on the right side of ribbon is firmly pressed, but one on the left side IS NOT PRESSED AT ALL and that obviously causes lose connection and problems with keyboard. At the photo you can see that right ribon holder is firmly pressed and left is completly open. I had EXACTLY SAME situation at all of mine 3 laptops. Just securing that small black holder have solved all issues. 
  • @Kreso You are right! It was even mentioned in the German community as well: https://community.acer.com/de/discussion/comment/791474/#Comment_791474

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JadesRage
    JadesRage Member Posts: 1 New User
    Mine is doing this, I tried some of these things the only thing that it is doing is the orange light on the side is blinking and the blue light comes on I think I hear the fans running. No keyboard lights no screen when I plug in hdmi cable. It reminds me of sleep mode my cat walked across it. I woke up and it wouldn't do anything but my hello kitty mouse still worked that was plugged. Sometimes the orange light stops blinking and just stays on but when I unplug I lose all power. How do I find out if I still have warranty?  
  • @JadesRage I suggest you ask a new question.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer