Swift 7 SF714-52T- Coil whine/"electric" sound when keyboard backlight is off

RuslanRU
RuslanRU Member Posts: 8 New User
edited November 2023 in Swift and Spin Series
Hello
I have issue with my Acer Swift 7(SF714-52T) laptop: when keyboard backlight is off - i hear kind of "Coil whine"/"electric" sound from top right corner of the laptop. When backlight is active - sound disappears totally. Does anyone have the same issue? Is there a way to activate constant backligh on the keyaboard?
Thanks!
[Edited the  thread to  add  model  name to the title]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    Open ControlPanel. Search 'power plan'. Click 'choose power plan' in left pane. Which power plan mode is active? Balanced, PowerSaver or Performance? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RuslanRU
    JackE said:
    Open ControlPanel. Search 'power plan'. Click 'choose power plan' in left pane. Which power plan mode is active? Balanced, PowerSaver or Performance? Jack E/NJ
    Hello
    Active plan is "Balanced"
  • Does the same problem occur when using the notebook on the battery?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • RuslanRU
    Does the same problem occur when using the notebook on the battery?
    The problem occurs when running on the battery as well as on AC adapter. 
  • JackE
    OK. F2 into the BIOS menu when you first power up.  Try enabling/disabling TurboBoostTech (TBT) modes in the BIOS Main & Advanced tabs. Save one setting at a time. Then test for the noise.

As for the KB light issue, if the latest ACER BIOS firmware v1.13 doesn't have options for control at the ACER download site https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/8000?b=1
    then you should request assistance on this matter from ACER technical service thru the ACER Worldwide link http://www.acer.com/worldwide/ because it involves custom firmware changes that is unavailable on this users forum.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RuslanRU
    edited May 2020
    JackE said:
    OK. F2 into the BIOS menu when you first power up.  Try enabling/disabling TurboBoostTech (TBT) modes in the BIOS Main & Advanced tabs. Save one setting at a time. Then test for the noise.

As for the KB light issue, if the latest ACER BIOS firmware v1.13 doesn't have options for control at the ACER download site https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/8000?b=1
    then you should request assistance on this matter from ACER technical service thru the ACER Worldwide link http://www.acer.com/worldwide/ because it involves custom firmware changes that is unavailable on this users forum.

Jack E/NJ

I tried to enabling/disabling TBT - it doesnt solve the issue..

• JackE
    Open TaskManager. Watch CPU-Mem-Disk-Network usage before and after the KB light goes out. Any abrupt changes?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RuslanRU
    JackE said:
    Open TaskManager. Watch CPU-Mem-Disk-Network usage before and after the KB light goes out. Any abrupt changes?  Jack E/NJ
    There is no significant changes.
  • What happens when you reset the battery?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • RuslanRU
    What happens when you reset the battery?
    I did. nothing has changed
  • Did you try to update the bios, as colleague JackE said?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• RuslanRU
    Did you try to update the bios, as colleague JackE said?
    I have the latest bios version "1.13"
  • the noise may be coming from here:

Now, coil whine generally occurs when more performance is required and consequently when there is more energy consumption.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JackE
    (1) Has this sound always behaved this way when the KB key lights turn off?
    (2) If yes, how long ago did you purchase this machine? Is it still under warranty?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RuslanRU
    JackE said:
    (1) Has this sound always behaved this way when the KB key lights turn off?
    (2) If yes, how long ago did you purchase this machine? Is it still under warranty?

Jack E/NJ
    1) Yes, always. When keyboard backlight is on - laptop is absolutely noiseless.
    2) I bought it about moth ago. Its still under warranty, but service centers are temporary close because of 
    quarantine in russia.
  • JackE
    >> I bought it about moth ago. Its still under warranty, but service centers are temporary close because of quarantine in russia. >>>

I would first try a full factory reset via the ALT+F10 cold boot method as shown in the video below. Do this now. If the  noise problem persists after the full reset, you should ***QUICKLY*** try to contact the vendor tomorrow via email, chatline  or phone, and tell them you would like to arrange returning the machine as defective for a refund or exchange as soon as the quarantine is lifted.  If this is not possible, then you should arrange for ACER service ***NOW*** at this link https://www.acer.com/ac/ru/RU/content/support . Have your serial number id (SNID) ready. I would first try to contact the vendor because ACER warranty service will take longer. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• User2
    User2 Member Posts: 3 New User

is your issue fixed ? iam experiencing same issue with my acer predator what should i do ? i bought it 2 weeks ago

• JackE

If a reset doesn't fix it, return it to the vendor/seller for a refund or exchange before the vendors return merchandise authorization (RMA) period ends. Usually only a few weeks so don't wait. Warranty repair service will take longer.

Jack E/NJ

• User2
    User2 Member Posts: 3 New User
  • ZironAcr
    ZironAcr Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited November 2023

I took my laptop to Acer service - they confirmed the issue but couldn't fixed it and finally i received my money back from seller.

For info: I changed my nickname here - my previous nick was "RuslanRU."