Install harddrive Aspire Nitro 5 AN515-51

Options
Ankan999
Ankan999 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi

My sons laptop needs more memory. Today he only has 256 Gig. an Acer Aspire Nitro 5 AN515-51

I would like to by a SSD drive and install. This is what I am looking at: Kingston A400 960GB 2.5" SATA (SA400S37/960G) (https://www.webhallen.com/se/product/291542-Kingston-A400-960GB-2-5-SATA-SA400S37960G). I hope it will fit and be fast enough.

I open a box under the computer. It was dead empty, nothing inside. I believe this is where the hard drive should sit.

questions
1) do i need to buy a cable to connect the harddrive?
2) Do i need to buy a seperate hard drive carrier so I can attach the harddrive with screws?
3) how do I open the computer so i can install the hard drive and cable? I unscrewed all screws, but I cannot open up the computer... any advice?

Thanks for help

Best Answer

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,138 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello,
    I would suggest you to keep Windows on the original SSD of 256 GB and install the programs on the new one.
    PS: Don't forget to disconnect the internal battery before doing anything.
    France

Answers

• laurent_14
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Hello,
    If the HDD compartment is empty, you would need a HDD kit including the HDD cable, bracket and screws. You can watch this video to disassemble the bottom of the laptop:
    France
  • Ankan999

Tinkerer

Options
    Perfect! Clear how to open up the laptop. Thanks

will the harddrive i described fit?

Do you know whar kind a cable i should by? Ir is it obvious for a computer store?
  • Ankan999

Tinkerer

Options
    Hmmm

I tried to find a suitable cable in a computer store. Not that easy... I found this

Do you think it will fit? the connector vs the computer looks a bit different vs pictures I found on Acer homepage.

Any advice what how I can find? any special text I should search for?

• Ankan999

Tinkerer

Options
    There is one thing I don't get. Today there is a hard drive of 250 gig. But the slot for the harddrive is empty... Is there another harddrive somewhere...? I guess it has to be.

does anyone know where it is located? If so I can perhaps just replace it with an SSD drive. It looks to be a bit tricky for find a Acer specific cable and rack to hold the ssd drive...
  • laurent_14
    Options
    Hello,
    1. The SSD cased stated in your previous message is compatible and you'll be able to fit it.
    2. Here are the Acer part numbers for the HDD kit:
      50.GP4N2.004 - HDD CABLE
      33.GP4N2.002 - HDD BRACKET
      86.GCHN2.009 - SCREW 2D 3L K 4.5D ZK NL CR3 0.4T (M2x3 - Qty: 4 - To fix HDD module/laptop)
      86.MXRN2.008 - SCREW 3.0D 3.0L K 4.9D NI (M3x3 - Qty: 4 - To fix bracket/HDD)
    3. You should currently have a SATA 3 or PCIe X4 M.2 SSD. Coud you give the first ten characters of the laptop serial number (S/N)?
    France
  • Ankan999

Tinkerer

Options
    Perfect, very useful. Found a case and cable in Amazon

S/N number: NHQ2SED002 7280
    AN515-51-79FD
    MFG: 2017/07/14

Do you think I can replace existing hard drive with the one I am considering to buy?

And.... Thank you so much for helping me out!
  • laurent_14
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Hello,
    If you are talking about the HDD, yes you can since they are the same form factor and interface.
    France
  • Ankan999

Tinkerer

Options
    hi, thanks again

but where is the current hdd located... I looked at the film below, and I have not HDD in empty slot that I can reach by opening the box under the laptop... I cannot find where the current hdd is located....

• laurent_14
    Options
    The current SSD is located here (pointing):

France
  • Ankan999

Tinkerer

edited May 2020
    Options
    hmmm. it does not look like the drive I bought. is this a 2,5 inch drive? Looks very small on the picture.
  • laurent_14
    Options
    Hello,
    No, the current drive is a SATA 3 M.2 2280 SSD (looks like an electronic card). Did you buy the Kingston 2.5" SSD? FYI, I'm talking about the HDD and not the current SSD: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/851679/#Comment_851679
    France
  • Ankan999

Tinkerer

Options
    Ok, i know have the laptop open. There is an empty slot for the hdd. But where should I attach the little cable to the laptop? I assume i should connect the hdd to the motherboard, but i cannot find an empty slot close to where the hdd should be located...

• laurent_14
    Options
    Hello,
    The HDD connector is located under this ribbon cable:
    You'll need electrical tape to isolate the HDD connector and to fix its cable.
    France
  • Ankan999

Tinkerer

edited May 2020
    Options
    Do i have the wrong cable? Can’t see how it should fit...,

• laurent_14
    Options
    Hello,
    I would suggest you to buy the parts from this reseller.
    France
  • Ankan999

Tinkerer

Options
    Fantastic!!

Thanks, you saved me some money. I will comment once I have installed teh new SSD drive

Another question... Do you propose I move windows to the new SSD drive? or should I keep it at the existing hard drive (only 256 gig) and perhaps move the programs folder to the new hdd? My issue is that my son whats to install Call of duty on the laptop, but there is not enough space...
  • laurent_14
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello,
    I would suggest you to keep Windows on the original SSD of 256 GB and install the programs on the new one.
    PS: Don't forget to disconnect the internal battery before doing anything.
    France
  • Ankan999

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks

will let you know the result!
  • Ankan999

Tinkerer

Options
    Mission completed!!!

All works perfect! I disconnected the battery cable and added electrical tape on top of the connector.

i found the new drive and named it D: 

i now have another gig to use.

will create a new folder and install new programs in the folder. I couldn’t move the current program folder, or i did not know how to... perhaps i will move the video folder to the new drive

thanks a million for all help!