Why is my Aspire camera image very dark?

Kevster
Kevster Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
When I use zoom, initially the camera works fine. However, on going to a second meeting, or entering a breakout room, my camera image goes very dark. I am using an Aspire 3 A315-51-36XN, Windows 10, 64 bit and have just updated zoom with no improvement. I have also been to the camera settings and updated the driver using the Windows automatic search. I have restarted the laptop. I have also uninstalled the camera and reinstalled it automatically on start up.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is very annoying.
Also, once the image goes dark, it appears dark in the Camera App, and in Skype as well.
Thanks in advance!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,469 Trailblazer
    Are you using the chrome browser? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kevster

Tinkerer

No the zoom app to run zoom. However, my default browser for other Internet actions would be chrome
  • JackE
    >>>However, my default browser for other Internet actions would be chrome >>>

This may be the problem anyway. Try making IE or FireFox the default to see what happens. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kevster

Tinkerer

Unfortunately, I tried uninstalling Chrome and then running Zoom (one meeting of 40 mins, followed by a second) in the same way. It still goes very dark on the second meeting. It doesn't seem to matter whether I am the host or an invitee. Any other ideas please?
  • JackE
    (1) Any difference in ambient lighting or clothing between meetings?
    (2) When the image is dark, what happens if you shine a bright light at the cam or yourself?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kevster

Tinkerer

There is no difference in ambient lighting or clothing as one meeting follows directly on from the other. However, if we shine a bright light on our faces, they show up better on screen which registers the change of light. Also, if I shine the light at the camera it makes the whole image a little brighter, but still not the same brightness as in the first zoom meeting.

• JackE
    OK. Try this. Open ControlPanel. Search 'power plan'. Click 'choose a power plan' in left pane. Choose 'balanced'. Then clic 'change plan settings'. Then click  'change advanced power settings' near bottom. Click 'display' folder. Click 'enable adaptive brightness' subfolder. Turn off for both battery and plugged in. If already off, turn both on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kevster

Tinkerer

Unfortunately our Windows 10 doesn't have the enable adaptive brightness option. version 10.0.18362 MS Windows10 Home
  • JackE
    >>>but still not the same brightness as in the first zoom meeting.>>>

Other users have reported that Zoom seems to have display issues like this (some have black screens, not dim/dark) that don't show up with other related apps like Skype. Since your re-start workaround suggests a software issue, about all I can suggest at this point is to re-do the zoom video test  https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362313-How-Do-I-Test-My-Video-
    and if still no appaent resolution surfaces then give them a piece of your mind at this link to see if they can suggest a more convenient fix https://zoom.us/feed

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jjcddf
    Jjcddf Member Posts: 1 New User
    Kevster said:
    When I use zoom, initially the camera works fine. However, on going to a second meeting, or entering a breakout room, my camera image goes very dark. I am using an Aspire 3 A315-51-36XN, Windows 10, 64 bit and have just updated zoom with no improvement. I have also been to the camera settings and updated the driver using the Windows automatic search. I have restarted the laptop. I have also uninstalled the camera and reinstalled it automatically on start up.
    Also, once the image goes dark, it appears dark in the Camera App, and in Skype as well.
    Thanks in advance!
    Hi! We have the same problem. Did u fix this already? Thanks!
  • Kevster

Tinkerer

I'm afraid that in the end I couldn't solve it and bought a £30 webcam which works highly successfully. 
  • Vylexxy
    Vylexxy Member Posts: 2 New User
    Kevster said:
    Thanks in advance!
    hi guys, idk if you already fix it or not but here is the solution for you who still search it :
    go to camera > settings > and change the flicker settings from 50Hz to 60Hz, that should fix it
    hope it helps
  • Kevster

Tinkerer

Thanks for this. I'll try it later. However, having not found a solution, I bought a simple webcam £20 which does the trick. I also discovered that the laptop camera is very low resolution and gives a dreadful picture quality anyway. That's very disappointing Acer!