Predator Helios 300 RAM upgrade

Options
viju_007
viju_007 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Dear Friends,

I want to upgrade the RAM of my Predator Helios 300 PH315-51 (i5 8300H@2.30GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti).The default RAM is Kingston(8GB DDR4 2666Mhz single rank) working in single channel mode. I want to add another 8GB memory. RAMs ( DDR4 2666MHz latency CL 19 )come in different configs. My questions are:

a. Should I buy the RAM made by the same manufacturer?
b. Should I buy single rank (default is single rank) or dual rank RAM?
c. If I pair a dual rank with single rank RAM, will there be any performance issues?
d. If I pair a dual rank with single rank RAM, will they work in dual channel mode?
e. If I pair a dual rank with single rank RAM, can the system access the full combined memory?
f. Should I pair the default single rank RAM with another single rank RAM?
g. If I pair single rank to single rank, will they work in dual channel mode?
h. If both combinations are compatible, which one is preferred and why?

Answers

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,365 Pathfinder
    Options
    @viju_007
    Personally i advice you to buy same ram with same manufacture however you can also buy from different manufacturers.
    Your motherboard support upto 2,666MHZ its mean if you add higher mhz ram then speed will be down to 2,666mhz so, buy 2,666mhz ram 

And in additional 
    I do NOT recommend using two ram sticks of different sizes. Waste of money
    If you want best ram performance then make sure 
    1)Both ram sticks to be of equal size
    2) Both ram sticks to be of equal voltage
    3) Both ram sticks to be of equal CL (cas latency)
    4) 2666mhz DDR4 ram sticks

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • viju_007

Tinkerer

edited May 2020
    Options
    @viju_007
    Personally i advice you to buy same ram with same manufacture however you can also buy from different manufacturers.
    Your motherboard support upto 2,666MHZ its mean if you add higher mhz ram then speed will be down to 2,666mhz so, buy 2,666mhz ram 

And in additional 
    I do NOT recommend using two ram sticks of different sizes. Waste of money
    If you want best ram performance then make sure 
    1)Both ram sticks to be of equal size
    2) Both ram sticks to be of equal voltage
    3) Both ram sticks to be of equal CL (cas latency)
    4) 2666mhz DDR4 ram sticks

Thank you for your reply. My main query was regarding the RAM rank. Please help me with that too. The reason I chose not to buy the ram from the same manufacturer is the cost. Its almost double.
  • Nero21
    Nero21 Member Posts: 191 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    edited May 2020
    Options
  • GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,365 Pathfinder
    Options
    @nero12
    Hard for me to explain 
    @viju_007
    The RAM inside the laptop most likely is single rank. The ranks of the RAM has to match if you want it to run in dual-channel.

You can use HWiNFO to find the voltage and rank, and other information as well.
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,121 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hi @viju_007
    You don't need to pay too much attention to ranks anymore, it doesn't matter whether you mix them or using only the same type of RAM modules, the difference will be hardly noticeable, please read this link for more detailed explanation.
    https://www.oempcworld.com/support/singlevsdualram.html
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi @Nero21
    I have forgotten to include your name, please read my previous post.
  • viju_007

Tinkerer

Options
    @brummyfan2
    As per your suggestion whatever be the rank, if there are two memory sticks in two slots, they will run in dual channel mode. Right? Please clarify.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    viju_007 said:
    @brummyfan2
    As per your suggestion whatever be the rank, if there are two memory sticks in two slots, they will run in dual channel mode. Right? Please clarify.
    Hi,
    Yes, as long as they both are the same size, same speed, and have the same CL value, they will run in dual channel mode.
  • viju_007

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi friends. I wrote to Crucial regarding the rank of the RAM. They suggested to pair a single rank RAM with a single rank RAM (with same specs) or else some problems may arise. Anyway, I wanted to pair standard 8 GB to a new 8 GB memory. So I bought an ADATA memory card (single rank 8 GB) which works fine. Nowadays, I think most of the 8 GB RAMs are single rank. 16 GB and above are dual rank.  
  • Uz
    Uz Member Posts: 32 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options
    Here is my experience with ram https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/737775#Comment_737775
    Before was different speed and cl, I took one pair ram and now everything is allright
    In factory they write that only 2400mhz is working on it but I put in 2666 mhz and no anomalies. 
  • viju_007

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi friends,

I purchased an A-DATA 8 GB single rank RAM and its working fine. Its in dual channel mode. Hope this helps you people. Thanks for the support.

• WWGSCOTT
    WWGSCOTT Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Options
    OK BUD A SINGLE RANK MEMMORY MODULE HAS 1 ROW OF CHIPS. A DUAL RANK HAS 2 ROWS OF CHIPS.
    DUAL RANK moduals ARE SLIGHTLY Faster than single rank modules.
    you did right by buying the single rank module to match the one already installed. although you have a how can i say it. a bleached white chair and an off white chair
    for the future you should put the same manufactures modual in as the original. called matched pair.
    manufacturers make 2 module kits with matching modules.
    the kingston modules that are in the laptop are high quality-made by MICRON TECH MOTHER COMPANY OF CRUCIAL