Unstable Zoom on CB3-532 Chromebook - High CPU Warning

RichMaineRichMaine Member Posts: 3 New User
Greetings,
I am unable to get a steady Zoom connection on my machine.  I have done the usual things like a reset, disable all extensions, etc.  I still get a High CPU warning on my Zoom session which results in choppy sound/video. I have two other Chromebooks, with a slower CPU that both work fine. When I monitor the CPU here, even with no browser windows open, the CPU is consistently spiking to 70% busy.  On the other machines, the idle CPU is very low.  I have updated to current Chrome and Zoom client but it appears that even with nothing running, the machine is quite busy. Has anyone else experienced this? All machines are running the same version of ChromeOS, just different hardware. 
Thanks

FAQ & Answers

• JackEJackE ACE Posts: 32,048 Trailblazer
    What happens when you set up a Zoom test meeting? https://zoom.us/test

If the same behavior, I suggest trying to set it up again according to the Zoom CB instructions https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/213298746-Getting-Started-On-Chrome-OS

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
  • RichMaineRichMaine Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes, I have installed and uninstalled zoom app several times. The odd part is that my Dell CB with slower CPU runs fine. But CPU is very high on the Acer, even idle. And very high with zoom running. Very few extensions running on both systems. Everything is current. It just seems perplexing. 
  • pkwpkw Member Posts: 69 Die Hard
    Is there something else in the background that causes high cpu usage? An Android app? Linux?
  • RichMaineRichMaine Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi, no very vanilla system. I have another Acer, as well as the Dell CB and they run zoom perfectly fine. The cpu value is all in the browser, idle is around 45% and when zoom starts it hits 100% right away. I have done reset a few times and it's not any extension running. It's really a mystery in this model.

Thanks 
  • pkwpkw Member Posts: 69 Die Hard
    Weird. On my Acer zoom runs fine. Have you tried asking in Zoom forums?
  • JackEJackE ACE Posts: 32,048 Trailblazer
    >>>idle is around 45% >>>

This is way too much usage if nothing  seems to be running. Shift+Esc should pull up chrome's task manager so you can actually see what's  consuming this much CPU time at claimed idle. Jack E/NJ
    Jack E/NJ