Updating CPU of Aspire TC-780(KBL)

Options
LEEOVN
LEEOVN Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
I have an Aspire TC-780(KBL) motherboard with a Intel Core i5 7400 Kaby Lake and I want to install a Core i7-9700k. Is this doable ? the documentation doesn't seem to have been updated, so I'm completely lost.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    edited May 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    Nope, you have to stay in the 7th gen CPUs.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    edited May 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    Nope, you have to stay in the 7th gen CPUs.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • LEEOVN
    LEEOVN Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Also, would  a Core i7-6700k still be compatible ? thanks for the recent reply by the way !
  • billsey
    Options
    Nope. They use a different chipset. You are 7th gen and need 7th gen.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    edited May 2020
    Options

The maximum upgradeable cpu that you can upgrade to with your MB and Chipset is to a Core i7-7700T which is 98% upgradable it has;  4 cores, with 8 threads, normal frequency of 2.9 GHz and a turbo frequency of 3.8 GHz, L2 cache of 1MB and L3 cache of 8MB, with a TDP of 35W. while your OEM Core i5-7400 has 4 core 4 threads, normal frequency of 3 GHz and a turbo frequency of 3.5 GHz, L2 cache of 1MB, L3 cache of 6MB, TDP of 65W, the Core i7-7700T will run with less Thermal design power (TDP) which is the maximum amount of heat generated by the cpu chip and component hence it will run cooler and more efficient and will be more affective.

Your OEM Core i5-7400 is a Kaby Lake-S and is totally different architecture to a Core i7-9700k Coffee Lake cpu and your MB will not handle the Core i7-9700k Coffee Lake cpu, they need different MB bios chip programming and chipsets hence, it won't work, same with the Core i7-6700k.

• UltraVioletIris
    UltraVioletIris Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    Can Aspire TC780(KBL) be upgraded to Core i7-7700 Desktop Processor 4 Cores up to 4.2 GHz LGA 1151 100/200 Series 65W?

Thanks!
  • billsey
    Options
    @UltraVioletIris you should really start your own thread for this. There are different generations of processors and we need to know which you have now in order to determine what else will fit. If you, like the original poster, have a, i5-7400 now then you can upgrade to the i7-7700.
  • UltraVioletIris
    UltraVioletIris Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    @billsey - Ok. I will start a new thread and I have the same processor as the original poster which is why I posted here. i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00 GHz Kaby Lake on an Aspire TC-780(KBL) motherboard.

I was concerned that I could not because of @StevenGen post above. I didn't understand the limit of the maximum upgradeable cpu" to "Core i7-7700T".

Hope you will still help me. I'm new here.