Acer Swift 3 - SF314-52 LCD Screen Backlight not Working

bluebottle22
bluebottle22 Member Posts: 8 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have an Acer Swift 3 whose LCD backlight will not turn on. If I shine a flashlight onto the screen, I can see the login page and I can enter in my password just fine. If I plug the laptop up to my TV, via HDMI, it shows up on the TV with no issues. I've bought two replacement screens online and the same thing happens. I really don't know what the issue is. All the cables are installed and tightly connected. With this model, the inverter is embedded in the LCD (the bottom section with the 30 pin connector).

Any ideas on what to do?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    When you first boot, do you see the splash screen before the backlight goes away, or is it off all the time?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • bluebottle22
    billsey said:
    When you first boot, do you see the splash screen before the backlight goes away, or is it off all the time?
    It's off the entire time.
  • billsey
    edited May 2020
    OK, so there's not much between the eDP cable connection on the motherboard and the screen itself, just the cable. IIRC the cable is bonded on the screen side, so comes with replacement screens. That means the only place there could be an issue is the eDP connector on the motherboard itself. Inspect the connector closely to see if there is any evidence of corrosion or damage.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • bluebottle22
    edited May 2020
    billsey said: hi
    OK, so there's not much between the eDP cable connection on the motherboard and the screen itself, just the cable. IIRC the cable is bonded on the screen side, so comes with replacement screens. That means the only place there could be an issue is the eDP connector on the motherboard itself. Inspect the connector closely to see if there is any evidence of corrosion or damage.
    The edp cable is not bonded on the screen on this model. It's also connected very firmly to the motherboard.
  • billsey
    edited May 2020
    Firmly doesn't always mean good conductivity. If you could, pull it out and reinsert it several times to see if you can wipe off any corrosion that may be there. Since it's not bonded at the top, do the same there. I'm betting the backlight leads from the motherboard aren't getting good contact with the display, and that's where the trouble lies. It also possible the internal wiring in the eDP cable has cracked on those leads...
  • bluebottle22
    billsey said:
    Firmly doesn't always mean good conductivity. If you could, pull it out and reinsert it several times to see if you can wipe off any corrosion that may be there. Since it's not bonded at the top, do the same there. I'm betting the backlight leads from the motherboard aren't getting good contact with the display, and that's where the trouble lies. It also possible the internal wiring in the eDP cable has cracked on those leads...
    I purchased a new cable, but I'm getting the same results. The backlight just won't turn on, yet I can see the contents of the screen if I shine a flashlight on it.
  • billsey
    So it sounds as if the back light circuitry in the display has failed. :(