How to reinstall windows without a working display

Mark19833891
Mark19833891 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi I've been trying to figure out if there is a way to reinstall windows on an Acer aspire es1-711 with a broken laptop display? The problem is that I was given the laptop to me by someone who can't remember their windows 10 login password. The only way I can get the laptop to switch to external display is by holding fn+f5 immediately after the computer starts so I can't hit any other keys to get into the bios etc. Is there anyway I could reinstall windows in this scenario? Or would it be possible to install windows on a hdd from another pc then put it into this computer? Sorry for such a long post I just can't figure out a solution other than buying a new screen which I really don't want to for this older laptop. Thank you any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,933 Trailblazer
    edited May 2020 Answer ✓
    First I would strongly suggest that you buy a new LCD screen for the Acer Aspire ES1-711 from eBay or Amazon so that you have an LCD screen that is working on the Acer Aspire ES1-711. If you can only get into Win-10 by pressing Fn+F5 for the external monitor then go to the Win-10 Settings > Recovery > Advance startup > restart now reboot and then press "Fn+F5" and see if that gets you into BIOS on the external monitor and you can see it?

If you can see the BIOS options, go to "Boot" and change the 1st boot order to and put USB HDD, then, put the Win-10 installation USB and try to boot (press Fn+F5 to activate your monitor) and see if you can get into the installation files, after, go to "Custom Install Windows (Advanced)" chose your HDD > Format > then install a new fresh copy of Win-10.

Also, does that someone that gave you the laptop know his MS account email? Or better, have you got a Microsoft account e.g. a hotmail.com account? If you have, put that account or better put the Aspire ES1-711 Windows 8.1 key (that is listed on the bottom of the laptop) into the space during the installation of Win-10 when asked and continue with the MS registration for MS to activate and give you a "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account" and finish installation, simple if not do that after installation from Settings > Activation and put the Windows 8.1 key (that is on the sticker listed below the laptop) into the space while trying to activate electronically the Win-10  registration, simple.

Answers

• StevenGen
    edited May 2020 Answer ✓
    First I would strongly suggest that you buy a new LCD screen for the Acer Aspire ES1-711 from eBay or Amazon so that you have an LCD screen that is working on the Acer Aspire ES1-711. If you can only get into Win-10 by pressing Fn+F5 for the external monitor then go to the Win-10 Settings > Recovery > Advance startup > restart now reboot and then press "Fn+F5" and see if that gets you into BIOS on the external monitor and you can see it?

If you can see the BIOS options, go to "Boot" and change the 1st boot order to and put USB HDD, then, put the Win-10 installation USB and try to boot (press Fn+F5 to activate your monitor) and see if you can get into the installation files, after, go to "Custom Install Windows (Advanced)" chose your HDD > Format > then install a new fresh copy of Win-10.

Also, does that someone that gave you the laptop know his MS account email? Or better, have you got a Microsoft account e.g. a hotmail.com account? If you have, put that account or better put the Aspire ES1-711 Windows 8.1 key (that is listed on the bottom of the laptop) into the space during the installation of Win-10 when asked and continue with the MS registration for MS to activate and give you a "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account" and finish installation, simple if not do that after installation from Settings > Activation and put the Windows 8.1 key (that is on the sticker listed below the laptop) into the space while trying to activate electronically the Win-10  registration, simple.

• Mark19833891
    Mark19833891 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank you. That information helped a lot. I appreciate your time.
  • StevenGen
    Thank you. That information helped a lot. I appreciate your time.
    Not a problem and good luck, as not many people know that you can still install Win-10 (clean install) from either a Win-7 or 8.0 or 8.1 with their MS keys. I've done that many times and it works 100% and the Win-10 new clean installation was always registered with a "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account" and Win-10 worked perfectly and 100%.