Graphics card issue on Acer Aspire TC-885-UA92

vc2020
vc2020 Member Posts: 4 New User
Hi all,

I recently got an Acer Aspire TC-885-UA92 from AcerRecertified (still in the 90 day warranty period, not in 14 day 100% money back window). I got a RX560 slot-powered GPU (60W, so there should be no issues with power consumption with a 300W PSU) to use with this system and plugged it in the slot. The desktop boots (and makes one short POST beep) and the GPU fans start spinning, so there is power to the slot. However, there is no video out from either the HDMI or DP on the graphics card. The onboard integrated graphics outputs are disabled when the card is plugged in, which seems to indicate that the motherboard/BIOS is detecting the new card. How can I troubleshoot this with no display? When I remove the card and plug in the HDMI to the onboard slot everything is fine again. The BIOS version is fairly recent (April 2019) and so is the card (first manufactured in mid-2017, uses UEFI).

Things I've tried:
* Booting with Safe Mode Disabled
* Switching to Legacy BIOS
* Removing the DVD drive to see if having less things connected to the power supply would help
* Tested the graphics card in another desktop to make sure it works (it does)

Things I'm not sure how to try:
* Check if Windows is running/boot up succeeded with no display out? Is there a way to remote in to check this?
* Check if the PCIe slot is broken or isn't supplying power? Can I test this with a multimeter?
* Check for any other problems that could cause a PCIe slot failure?

Other questions:
* Should I try installing the graphics card drivers before installing?
* Should I try resetting CMOS? I'm not entirely sure what this does or if it'd be helpful
* Should I try updating BIOS versions?
* Is the warranty voided if I've opened up the case to do this install? Seems like a problematic condition if so, as I'd never know that this slot doesn't work until I try it.

Anyone else seen this issue and have suggestions for next steps? Really at a loss here. Thanks!

Answers

• This site indicates that a psu with at least 450watts of power is required, see: https://www.amd.com/pt/products/graphics/radeon-rx-560

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • vc2020
    Unfortunately, that wasn't it. I just purchased and installed a 450W power supply with the same results. With the discrete graphics card installed and HDMI plugged into card, fans spin, no video out, onboard graphics disabled and also no video out. Without the card installed, HDMI plugged in to the onboard graphics works perfectly fine. Any other suggestions?
  • How is the bios configured here?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • vc2020
    The screen is blank when the graphics card is plugged in, both on the graphics card HDMI/DisplayPort and onboard graphics HDMI, so I'm unable to see BIOS configurations.

When I remove the graphics card and use only the onboard graphics, the BIOS shows Video Output: Onboard and Onboard Graphics Controller: Enabled, though both options are grey and cannot be selected as there is no other graphics option plugged in.
  • what is the version bios?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• R0BR0B
    R0BR0B Member Posts: 1 New User
    I think its a TDP limitation.  On the Acer Aspire TC-875, we couldn't get a 75W GTX 1650 to post (having tried a PNY single slot single fan as well as an HP OEM single fan single slot).  However, we did get a 50W RX 550 2GB (HP OEM single fan single slot) to post.  You tied an RX 560 which has 60-80W TDP.  What we've established is the 50W works but 75W doesn't.  The TDP limit for GPU upgrade is somewhere in between.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer
    You just need to replace the PSU with a bigger one...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Mox6
    Mox6 Member Posts: 2 New User
    vc2020 said:
    Hi all,

I recently got an Acer Aspire TC-885-UA92 from AcerRecertified (still in the 90 day warranty period, not in 14 day 100% money back window). I got a RX560 slot-powered GPU (60W, so there should be no issues with power consumption with a 300W PSU) to use with this system and plugged it in the slot. The desktop boots (and makes one short POST beep) and the GPU fans start spinning, so there is power to the slot. However, there is no video out from either the HDMI or DP on the graphics card. The onboard integrated graphics outputs are disabled when the card is plugged in, which seems to indicate that the motherboard/BIOS is detecting the new card. How can I troubleshoot this with no display? When I remove the card and plug in the HDMI to the onboard slot everything is fine again. The BIOS version is fairly recent (April 2019) and so is the card (first manufactured in mid-2017, uses UEFI).

Things I've tried:
    * Booting with Safe Mode Disabled
    * Switching to Legacy BIOS
    * Removing the DVD drive to see if having less things connected to the power supply would help
    * Tested the graphics card in another desktop to make sure it works (it does)

Things I'm not sure how to try:
    * Check if Windows is running/boot up succeeded with no display out? Is there a way to remote in to check this?
    * Check if the PCIe slot is broken or isn't supplying power? Can I test this with a multimeter?
    * Check for any other problems that could cause a PCIe slot failure?

Other questions:
    * Should I try installing the graphics card drivers before installing?
    * Should I try resetting CMOS? I'm not entirely sure what this does or if it'd be helpful
    * Should I try updating BIOS versions?
    * Is the warranty voided if I've opened up the case to do this install? Seems like a problematic condition if so, as I'd never know that this slot doesn't work until I try it.

Anyone else seen this issue and have suggestions for next steps? Really at a loss here. Thanks!
    Did you ever get this sorted? I have a TC-885 with an UGd 750w PS and have the exact same issue. Tried 3 different cards. Tried on pci-e slot, tried with vid card external and attached with an adapter. Nothing. If vid card is plugged in I get blank screen from any monitor plugged into either on board or added vid card. 
  • Mox6
    Mox6 Member Posts: 2 New User
    billsey said:
    You just need to replace the PSU with a bigger one...
    I already had an upgraded 750w PSU and I get the same thing. No display on either on board or added card as soon as I plug it in. If I remove the added vid card, onboard works again.