Acer Aspire desktop - SMART detection error

Pugman211
Pugman211 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
Hi All,

Wondering if you could possibly help me with my Acer, basically I had a power cut whilst my computer was on, and since then, on boot up (it doesn't actually boot anymore) it displayed the following:

"There is an error in the SMART detection Press F1 to continue or DEL to enter setup"

At first, it would boot up, and everything worked. Then it stopped, and now I get:

"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected device and press a key"

I can see a HDD in the BIOS, so I'm hoping that I don't need a new HDD, and I've just lost a boot file or something? I've read about a UEFI or something similar, but have never used one. Ideally, I'm trying to avoid having to format the HDD as there are files that I need on it.

Any help would be great thanks

Baz

Answers

• does the crystaldiskinfo program encounter a problem on the hdd?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Pugman211
    Hi,

Im not too sure, as the computer doesn't not even boot up. The BIOS is set for HDD to boot first also.

Thanks
  • Does the computer boot when disconnecting hdd?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Pugman211
    hi,

Does the computer boot when disconnecting hdd?

Oh! I haven't tried that. I'll give it a go, but surely it wont boot without a HDD.

Thanks
  • Does not start windows, but you should be able to access the bios.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Pugman211
    Hi,

Yes can access and make changes in the BIOS no problem
  • Can you install windows on another hard drive? I think your current hard drive is in trouble.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Pugman211
    I will do thanks
  • PeterSL
    PeterSL Member Posts: 1 New User
    Similar problem today with loss of SMART detection. Probably occurred whilst on standby, even though I have uniterrupted power supply attached. Seems to require use of the F1 option to acheive a start up now. I'll have a look at the bios setting if it happens again.
  • Vinr
    Vinr Member Posts: 4 New User

I have this problem now. Any fixes worked?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

SMART detection errors are almost always a failed or failing drive. The only real solution is to replace the drive. If the original drive hasn't fully failed you can sometimes recover data from it…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.