My Acer Predator Helios 300 (Predator G3-571) CPU Fan has a very noisy, rattling buzz.

Options
parkhor
parkhor Member Posts: 1 New User
Hey acer commmunity. I've had my helios 300 for maybe a little more than 2 years now. I love it, very amazing laptop, I've had problems with it here and there, but nothing that wasn't fixed. However, as of recent, maybe for about a month now, the fans have been getting very "rattle-ly." It started it subtly, nothing that bothered me.

Recently, however, the rattling has gotten really loud and irritating. I attached a video of it for reference (link: https://youtu.be/UckF1frprH8). Basically, I first tried to troubleshoot the fans about a month ago with predatorsense, but the recent windows update prevented predatorsense from even opening. SO I put it off, but like I said, the rattling got really loud. So I sat down and really troubleshooted predatorsense, (another story), but once that got up and running. I isolated the problem. 

The rattling is definitely coming from the left side, the "cpu fan." If you watch the video, I first test the GPU fan, (what I assume is the right side), and then test the CPU fan (what I assume is the left side). The rattling coming from the GPU is not bad at all, pretty normal from what I'm used to, but the left is SO GOD ***** IRRITATING. As I'm typing this, it sounds like a lawnmover off in the distance. The rattling kind of picks as rpm picks as you see in the video, but its like a more obnoxious, slow buzz at slower rpms.

Someone please help me, I have experience with taking apart a laptop, so I can check for dust, but it does not sound like dust. It sounds like a dying fan, and if that's the case, where can I get a replacement part? (I know that my warranty is over, unfortunately).

Thank you in advance for all who try to help!

Answers

• HaroldJhengis
    HaroldJhengis Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Hi, I had this exact problem with my CPU fans. I ordered some replacements off Amazon, here are the fans I chose:
    https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Cooling-Predator-G3-571G-DFS541105FC0T/dp/B082NTWCN8
    After installing them there was no more rattling noise. It seems the shelf life of the fans that come with the laptop isn't very long.

I recommend cleaning the fans first before ordering, though. Cleaning the fans didn't do anything for me, but it may solve the problem for you.
    One last thing: make sure you have a decent screwdriver set before working on this laptop. It has small screws that strip very easily. If you strip the screws they will take some doing to get out.

Hope this helps!