battery suddenly died ? or not ?

Adilnugod
Adilnugod Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

battery suddenly stopped charging . and the laptop wont open on battery and works direct with charger plugged in.
is there any solution without replacing the battery?

am using acer aspire 5 a5-51g

Answers

• GeekySimian
    GeekySimian Member Posts: 4 New User
    Same's just happened to me - I usually leave it on mains but every now again I use the battery and get about 2 ours out of it. Died within five minutes today and now doesn't work at all on battery.

Have you tried this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfhgnxUJoZo&feature=emb_logo
    Didn't work for me so far, but would seem to be a software issue unless something's failed very quickly (fuse?) on the battery. WIll keep on searching...

• GeekySimian
    GeekySimian Member Posts: 4 New User
    Just taken the top off and it's a failed battery in my case - took the battery pack apart and the cells are ok (4.17V each), so the controller board board must be dead. Took that out but nothing obvious - a fuse on the underside seems ok so time for a new battery ¬(
  • Adamu
    Adamu Member Posts: 1 New User
    Adilnugod said:
    battery suddenly stopped charging . and the laptop wont open on battery and works direct with charger plugged in.
    is there any solution without replacing the battery?

am using acer aspire 5 a5-51g
    I am also facing this problem.
    The battery suddenly stopped charging . and the laptop wont open on battery and works direct with charger plugged in.
    So what is the solution without replacing the battery?
    I am using aspire E 14. But I am not sure who is going to help us fix these issues.
    Seems no one is replying. Now I see why many people don't want to buy acer.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Adilnugod and @Adamu

If you have your laptop and the same battery for more than four years, it is common to see the battery depleted to a point that needing replacement.

To see if you need a new battery, it is good to get a battery report of its health.

At command prompt as an Administrator, enter the command:

Powercfg / batteryreport

then search this report: Battery-Report.html

under this directory: 

C:\windows\system32

If you found out that your battery's current capacity is way below the Designed Capacity ( say, more than 30-40%) , then it is time to replace the battery.
  • ConceptIA
    ConceptIA Member Posts: 47 Troubleshooter
    edited January 2022
    I think it would have been ideal if Acer had engineered a way to more easily remove the battery if not needed. The simple fact that it's inside the laptop at all times (and charging when powered on) is enough to deplete its overall health and longevity due to accumulated heat of itself and other components.

Does anybody know if it's possible to disable battery charging via software?
  • ttttt
    @ConceptIA

I strongly agree with you. I have another old Dell laptop with easy removable battery.
    Since more than 99% of the time I use this Dell laptop at the same location on AC, I remove the battery all the time, only to install it back once every half year for fully charging again. This lap top must be more than eight years old ( I got it from a relative) and the battery is functional O.K.

I think even if you can disable charging via software or Acer Care Center settings, the battery life will not be prolonged, as it is always plugged in.
  • ConceptIA
    edited January 2022
    ttttt said:
    @ConceptIA

I strongly agree with you. I have another old Dell laptop with easy removable battery.
    Since more than 99% of the time I use this Dell laptop at the same location on AC, I remove the battery all the time, only to install it back once every half year for fully charging again. This lap top must be more than eight years old ( I got it from a relative) and the battery is functional O.K.

I think even if you can disable charging via software or Acer Care Center settings, the battery life will not be prolonged, as it is always plugged in.
    Yes, I too had a HP laptop with easy removable battery and I used to have it removed most of the time as well. Not only does that preserve battery health in the long run, but also helps reduce the weight of the laptop. So it's a win-win for the consumer I think.

But let me ask you a question: so does that Acer Care Center software really have an option to disable battery charging?
  • ttttt
    @ConceptIA

Franky, I do not have my Acer laptop long enough that I tested out everything.

As far as I know, Acer Care Center has something that controls the threshold for charging (not necessarily disable it). I haven't messed with it yet.
  • ConceptIA
    edited January 2022
    ttttt said:
    @ConceptIA

Franky, I do not have my Acer laptop long enough that I tested out everything.

As far as I know, Acer Care Center has something that controls the threshold for charging (not necessarily disable it). I haven't messed with it yet.

Thanks! Will have a look!