short of space on my hd for windows updates

minudome
minudome Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello Community,
I have a notebook and since I bought I realized it was with a low disk space (4gb), and this doesn't give me the chance to get the update by windows.
I tried with an external support, but nothing change.

Does anyone know some tip on how to sort it out?

thanks

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Great! I wish they didn't offer the models with only 32GB of drive space, but apparently they sell well enough because of the lower pricing.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Nero21
    Nero21 Member Posts: 191 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Only 4gb
    Which laptop?
  • billsey
    Yeah, we really need to know a bit more here. What laptop do you have (full model number is best)? How big is the drive (our suggestions will be quite different if you have a 500GB drive with 4GB free than if you have a 32GB drive with 4GB free)?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • minudome

Tinkerer

Nero21 said:
    Only 4gb
    Which laptop?

billsey said:
    Yeah, we really need to know a bit more here. What laptop do you have (full model number is best)? How big is the drive (our suggestions will be quite different if you have a 500GB drive with 4GB free than if you have a 32GB drive with 4GB free)?
    Dear all,
    the total size is 28 gb.

It is a swift 1 SF114-31-C3KD

• billsey
    edited May 2020
    OK, so you likely have a 32GB eMMC drive soldered to your motherboard. That's right at the ragged edge of size for a Windows machine, but is workable if you take precautions. First thing is to free up as much space on C: as possible. Run Disk Cleanup and tell it to clean up system files. That will get rid of old downloaded updates. Run Windows update after to allow it to install everything except one of the big semi-annual feature updates, then run Disk Cleanup again and cycle between them until there are no updates left. Next put an SD card in, make sure it's formatted FAT32 and is at least 16GB in size. Make sure also that you don't have downloaded videos, music or pictures on your library. If you do, move them off to a flash drive. Finally go ahead and run the big update. It will use the SD card for temporary storage of the update and can do the update without requiring a bigger drive. Let us know how it works out for you. :)
  • minudome

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    OK, so you likely have a 32GB eMMC drive soldered to your motherboard. That's right at the ragged edge of size for a Windows machine, but is workable if you take precautions. First thing is to free up as much space on C: as possible. Run Disk Cleanup and tell it to clean up system files. That will get rid of old downloaded updates. Run Windows update after to allow it to install everything except one of the big semi-annual feature updates, then run Disk Cleanup again and cycle between them until there are no updates left. Next put an SD card in, make sure it's formatted FAT32 and is at least 16GB in size. Make sure also that you don't have downloaded videos, music or pictures on your library. If you do, move them off to a flash drive. Finally go ahead and run the big update. It will use the SD card for temporary storage of the update and can do the update without requiring a bigger drive. Let us know how it works out for you. :)
    Thank you @billsey
    I did what you suggest but then the system (even recognizing the external sd) continues to be attached to the amount of space remaining in the hard disk and can't continue the update :( 
  • billsey
    Dang. What do you have installed as apps other than the base build? Anything that might be big enough to make a difference?
  • minudome

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Dang. What do you have installed as apps other than the base build? Anything that might be big enough to make a difference?
    These are the biggest at the moment:

thanks
  • billsey
    Those are all ones you can easily reinstall after the updates, pull them off and see if the extra 1.5GB is enough.
  • minudome

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    Those are all ones you can easily reinstall after the updates, pull them off and see if the extra 1.5GB is enough.
    ok, thanks!
    will try and let you know...
  • minudome

Tinkerer

then, I needed to format my hd and finally the updates arrived.

thanks!
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Great! I wish they didn't offer the models with only 32GB of drive space, but apparently they sell well enough because of the lower pricing.
  • minudome

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    You're right @billsey...it was a very cheap purchase and only after I realized the drive space.
    I didn't expect that it could last as it is lasting, at least....

• billsey
    The cheap models actuslly are pretty robust. Since everything is soldered to the MB there's not a lot that can come loose. :)