Charging laptop (Acer Swift 3 SF313-52-55T8) via USB C ? In combination with running a display on it

Chris_ABC
Chris_ABC Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi, I own a Acer Swift 3 SF313-52-55T8 (very happy with it.)
I would like to reduce the clutter of cables on my desk by charging the laptop via USB C, and simultaneously running an external display from that same USB C port (i.e. the thunderbolt port). For example by using a "HP Thunderbolt Dock 120W G2".
Can I safely charge my laptop via this port? And is running the display via this USB dock possible simultaneously?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. If you could direct me to some more product information on this particular laptop, that would be great. (I could not find much info on the dutch acer website)

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,208 Trailblazer
    Hello,
    The USB Type-C port supports DisplayPort but not Power Delivery so you won't be able to charge your laptop:

France
  • Chris_ABC

Tinkerer

Hello,
    The USB Type-C port supports DisplayPort but not Power Delivery so you won't be able to charge your laptop:

Where did you find this information?
  • laurent_14
    As ACE member, I have access to some technical informations.
    France
  • Chris_ABC

Tinkerer

Can a normal consumer find these datasheets for their bought product anywhere?

I noticed that on the US version on this website: https://store.acer.com/en-us/laptops/swift-3-laptop-sf313-52-52va
    This feature is available. Any reason why this would not be the case on my version?
  • laurent_14
    Hello,
    You are talking about this feature;

France
  • Chris_ABC

Tinkerer

edited May 2020
    I posted the wrong link, sorry. In the following link:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NX.HQWAA.001
    it says : 

USB Type-C Detail

USB Type-C port supporting:

-USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps)

-DisplayPort over USB-C

-Thunderbolt 3

-USB charging 5 V; 3 A

-DC-in port 20 V; 65 W

But yes, I assume that would be the same features

• laurent_14
    edited May 2020
    Yes, you are right. It's weird. I will request confirmation from an Acer technician.
    Do you have Thunderbolt 3 stated on yours?

France
  • Chris_ABC

Tinkerer

edited May 2020
    Thanks, that would be great  =) 
    Yes, I do. Which actually came as a pleasant surprise, considering that it was not listed in any specsheet.
  • laurent_14
    Hello,
    Could you post a picture of the label located near the keyboard of your laptop? Thanks.
    France
  • Chris_ABC

Tinkerer

edited May 2020
    Hello,
    Could you post a picture of the label located near the keyboard of your laptop? Thanks.
    Hi Laurent,

Thank you for taking so much effort for answering my question.

I already took the sticker off the laptop (for aesthetic reasons), and thrown it out. So I cannot post a picture, but I am certain that it said exactly the same as the picture you posted.
  • laurent_14
    edited May 2020
    In waiting, I found this Intel document about Thunderbolt 3 (developped by Intel):

France
  • Chris_ABC

Tinkerer

edited May 2020
    Update:
    I bought a Dell WD15 dock with USB-C connector, and it works :) , charging my laptop and driving my display and USB peripherals at the same time