Acer Chromebook C738t series Internal Mic not working.

SandyDLee
SandyDLee Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Problem: Internal Mic doesn not work at all. I am unable to setup google assist or do anything anything that requires the mic.    
I have been doing troubleshooting: 
checked my mic is not muted 
checked chrome settings its set to ask 
turned off bluetooth, although i like it on since i am using bluetooth to connect my phone/mouse 
changed channel to beta didnt help
made sure ChromeOS is up to date
check both device and google account settings mic is on
google assistant is on
logged out
restarted device
plugged in headphones just to see the volume settings for mic, didnt help 
external mic or headphones not connected
sound works, I can hear just fine in all apps with built in speakers.
I have the same google account on my phone and the google assist works fine.  

I purchased the Acer Chromebook R11 C738t series, April 2020. I am a new chromebook user. Am I just missing something or is this device broken. I read in another post adding external mic may still did not work. I really don't want to have to go through returning and finding a new chromebook. 

Anyone else having this issue and was solved without just getting a different device?

Answers

• SandyDLee

Tinkerer

Update: I received help from Acer on social media. They directed me to a tool call mictests.com I was able to run the test and the site was able to fix the problem. The mic works now. 
  • huntthebunt
    huntthebunt Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same model Acer Chromebook (though I purchased it recently from Acer recertified) and have taken the same steps to troubleshoot my microphone, and it's not working.  I used the site the above user mentioned and received the message "Testing failed because your microphone could not capture any sounds. Please make sure your microphone is not muted and try again."  Not really sure where to turn now...
  • SandyDLee

Tinkerer

I have the same model Acer Chromebook (though I purchased it recently from Acer recertified) and have taken the same steps to troubleshoot my microphone, and it's not working.  I used the site the above user mentioned and received the message "Testing failed because your microphone could not capture any sounds. Please make sure your microphone is not muted and try again."  Not really sure where to turn now...
    @huntthebunt did you go to the website called mictests.com? I tried everything for 3 days before contacting Acer directly on facebook. It took about 24 hour response to dm but once they did that is who told me to visit mictests.com run the test and bam it fixed.  link is www.mictests.com make sure you put the full name including the s at end.. i first typed mictest and got totally different site..i suggest if the mictests.com doesnt work then contact acer on facebook dm for a quicker response than this forum. lmk if it works :)