Internet slow on laptop (Aspire 3) but super fast on other devices (other laptop, iphone, ipad, TVs)

Options
cesarwpg
cesarwpg Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hi. I have a problem with the internet on my laptop Aspire 3 since I bought it. Internet is fast on all other devices that I have. I run speed tests using the wifi connection on my other laptop and Iphone and average speed is between 250 and 300 Mbps. The same test on my Acer laptop gives me an average of 15 to 20 Mbps. Huge difference. 
Network Device: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377
It was suggested to change the DNS server to 8.8.8.8, which I did, but nothing changed as far as speed goes. My internet provider is Shaw and the Gateways is ARRIS TG3482G. 

Any suggestions??

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,614 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    As a last resort, try DriverBooster freeware  to see if it'll pick up an new drivers. I doiubt it will but you won't void the warranty trying. Anything else I can suggest will involve opening the laptop. I suggest arranging for a warranty repair ASAP. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options
    Open DeviceManager. Click network adapters folders. Right click the Qualcomm wifi. Click properties. Click advanced tab. Click Preferred band. Click 5GHz. If no joy, click 2.4GHz. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• cesarwpg

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi @JackE. Thanks for your reply. I made the changes, but it didn't change much. Instead of 15-20 Mbps, now I can get 25-28 Mbps. And all the speed tests show that my upload speed is also higher than the download speed. I don't know if it's supposed to be like that. 
  • GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,378 Pathfinder
    Options
    @cesarwpgfollow every steps-
    1)go to device manager →then right on your wireless driver then click on update driver.it will update if available 

2)go to settings →window&security→troubleshoot→then run troubleshoot 1st internet connection then network adapter 

3)open cmd as administrator then type these commands one by one.

netsh winsock reset
    netsh int ip reset
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew
    ipconfig /flushdns

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • JackE
    Options
    If still no joy, when did you purchase this machine? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• cesarwpg

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks @GAMING6698. I did all the steps you recommended:

1) Driver was already updated
    2) No problems found when running both troubleshoots 
    3) I followed all the steps and restarted my laptop. It came back a little bit faster. I ran a couple of speed tests and the average result was 
    Download: 35Mbps / Upload: 20Mbps - Not ideal, but definitely an improvement 
    Thanks again

@JackE - I purchased this laptop November of 2019, so about 6 months ago
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>have a problem with the internet on my laptop Aspire 3 since I bought it.>>>

I suggest first trying and ALT+F10 coldboot factory refresh while trying to save your personal files. With the machine shut off, press and hold ALT+F10. Then while still holding the two keys, press the power button to turn the machine on. A recovery screen  should appear as in the video below. Choose the first option to keep your files. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,378 Pathfinder
    Options
    @cesarwpg
    It's possible that you have a background task (or virus) that is using up your bandwidth. Ask your ISP to see if they can tell you what bandwidth you are actually using when you're in slow mode. If you're using something like 240Mbps then there's something on the system that's doing a lot of traffic. A reboot would stop that process until it gets launched again and you'd see fast access until it started using it up. If they can't, or won't, tell you how much you are using maybe it'll show up in Resource Monitor...
    windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • cesarwpg

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi @JackE and @GAMING6698. Thanks again for your comments. I did a complete reboot on my computer. Even deleted all my files, completely erased everything. Now, after installation of the Windows is complete, I don't see any improvements. I also ran the resource monitor while doing the speed test, but it only showed Microsoft Edge and "svchost.exe (netsvcs -p)". Do you guys think that it might be hardware? I might need to open a ticket with Acer, because it does not seem ok to have such a slow internet on the laptop. I won't even load a YouTube video. I can't stream anything using this computer. I can only do the very basic, otherwise it takes too much time to load. 
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    As a last resort, try DriverBooster freeware  to see if it'll pick up an new drivers. I doiubt it will but you won't void the warranty trying. Anything else I can suggest will involve opening the laptop. I suggest arranging for a warranty repair ASAP. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Bugs
    Bugs Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi Everyone! 

Hoping someone will be able to help me please. I recently purchased an Acer Aspire 3 and my internet speeds are so slow. My download is 8 and upload 30.I have another computer and tested the speed with that one and it’s fine. 

I have done a complete reset and still the same. I wanted to check here for some advice before I bring it back.

Thank you. 
  • JackE
    Options
    Open Device Manager. Click network adapters folder. Right click properties wifi adapter. Click advanced tab. Click preferred band. Change from no preference to 2.4GHz band. If still slow, then try 5GHz band. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• cesarwpg

Tinkerer

Options
    Hey @Bugs. Unfortunately I had the same problem as you are having right now. A lot of people tried to help and I really appreciate that, but nothing resolved. My CPU usage is always at 100%. Even when executing the most simple tasks, my CPU is running at 100%. I still have this internet speed issue. I opened a ticket with Acer, but I'd have to ship my laptop for repair, as they don't do it remotely. So I decided not too go with it. 
  • Msta
    Msta Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    cesarwpg said:
    Hi. I have a problem with the internet on my laptop Aspire 3 since I bought it. Internet is fast on all other devices that I have. I run speed tests using the wifi connection on my other laptop and Iphone and average speed is between 250 and 300 Mbps. The same test on my Acer laptop gives me an average of 15 to 20 Mbps. Huge difference. 
    Network Device: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377
    It was suggested to change the DNS server to 8.8.8.8, which I did, but nothing changed as far as speed goes. My internet provider is Shaw and the Gateways is ARRIS TG3482G. 

Any suggestions??
    Just go to device manager

Then select network adapter(wireless) and go to properties and then change driver spec from 802.1ax/ac/n to 802.1ac (only ac)

Problem solved
  • kohm
    kohm Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I had the same issue and tried this method and IT WORKED! But, besides changing Band selection, I also change Miracast preferred band and Preferred band to 5GHz. Now it went from 14 Mbs speed to 41 Mbs (and my service speed is 40 Mbs).

Hope this helps others.

• JackE
    Options

Jack E/NJ