Is there a way to repair a motherboard battery connector on

Options
MelleMG
MelleMG Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have an Acer Chromebook 11 CB3-111 that is not charging. The crosh battery test shows failure of the battery. After opening the case and inspecting the battery, the connector on the motherboard was found to have a bent/broken prong. Is there a way to repair this or do I need a new motherboard?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Are all eight wires populated in the cable, or is that one missing on the cable too? If missing then it's likely designed with that pin missing. If they are all there on the cable it's going to be tough to fix, IIRC that socket is a surface mounted part. Some technicians can deal with surface mount, some cannot. Also sourcing a single part like that can be tough.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MelleMG
    Options
    Thanks billsey,

We pulled the missing pin out as it was bent and inside the socket and snapped. 

I ended up plugging in the battery and puting everything all back together - miraculously the battery started charging and is at %100 this morning. The Chromebook is able to run off the battery now. So seems to be working without that pin. I think that whoever was in there before had only plugged the battery in properly. 

Crosh test shows battery charging and discharging properly. Health is so so, 73%.

We'll see how long it lasts.
  • MelleMG
    Options
    *had not plugged
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Looking closer at it it looks like those two wires on the side are the same voltage (+5V) and designed to allow for higher current. The risk you run is early failure of the wires between the battery and motherboard in a higher than normal draw situation, such as when really exercising the system with games or such.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.