Keyboard typing wrong characters after replacing battery

calumjcraig
calumjcraig Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have a C720 Chromebook which has served me faithfully for years. However recently the battery failed. I bought a 3rd party replacement off eBay and fitted it easily enough. But, when I turned it on I wasn't able to sign in and I discovered many keys were giving the wrong / extra characters.

I initially assumed it was language related but it was set to the correct language (GB English). I connected a USB external keyboard and it works fine. I also performed a powerwash which failed to resolve the issue.

Is it likely I've done something when I fitted the new battery? I'm technically competent and was pretty careful when I had the machine open but I can't think of anything else.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    edited April 2020
    Yes, I'd guess the keyboard cable is slightly misaligned in it's socket. Open it back up and reseat it.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • calumjcraig

Tinkerer

Thanks for the suggestion - I had a similar thought when I realised the keyboard ribbon cable was right next to the battery.

Unfortunately just tried that and it doesn't fix it...
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Any chance that ribbon was damaged during the battery swap? I can't think of anything else that would be vulnerable.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • calumjcraig

Tinkerer

Yeah, I've checked. I even took the cable out and cleaned it and the connection, everything looks fine... Guess I'm looking at replacing the keyboard which looks like a PITA jpb. Thanks though, appreciate you trying to help.