A515-53 dead

petes85gt
petes85gt Member Posts: 10 New User
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Greetings,

A few weeks ago I ran into a strange battery drain issue with my A515-53-55G9 where it would not charge while it was powered on.  The charging light would be amber but when using the device it would drain battery power until it died.  Windows would show it plugged in - but it did not show charging or not charging as the status.
troubleshooting:
-reset battery with pinhole
-uninstalled windows drivers for battery/AC adapter - Windows reinstalled drivers successfully
-changed power setting to power saving

these did not fix the issue and I did not have additional time to spend on it, so I let it sit there.  Device would appear to charge when it was powered off completely.

Fast forward to this morning, I plugged it in and the amber charge light came on.  I left it sit there for a while powered off but after about 15 minutes the amber light went out.  Now it will not power on at all (even with the ac adapter plugged in), no lights or any activity.  I have not been able to get the amber charge light to come back on.  I do not have another AC adapter or acer to test the adapter, but I did try additional outlets and that did not change anything.

troubleshooting:

-Added additional electric tape to the power interrupt button next to the RAM slot
-reset battery with pinhole

Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance!

Answers

• Did you add layers of electrical tape over the battery reset button?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • petes85gt
    I added electrical tape to this based on your suggestion from another topic

• can you send a picture of your motherboard? Is your notebook under warranty?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • petes85gt
    The notebook is over a year old so I believe it is out of the warranty period.  Picture is attached.  Thanks for your help.
  • What happens when you disconnect the lithium battery and try to turn on the notebook?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• petes85gt

I unplugged the connector shown and and put everything back together.  When plugged into the AC adapter the device still does not power on or have any activity.

• Have you checked the power adapter with a multimeter?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• petes85gt
    So following the below instructions I got a 0 reading from the multimeter.

• can you test with another power adapter that has the same voltage and power?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• petes85gt
    I tested a known good dell adapter which was close and got 19.5V (which is what it had listed as output).

The prongs on the multimeter were not small enough to fit past the tip on the acer unit.  Not sure how far in it needs to get a connection.
  • do you have any of these adapters?
    31pcs Universal Laptop DC Adaptador de Alimentao 31pcs Universal

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• petes85gt
    I don't believe so but will check around.  Thanks again for your help!
  • Post the result here.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• petes85gt
    I was not able to find anything that would work
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Likely your best next step is to replace the power supply with a compatible one, it sounds as if the supply has gone south. It's possible the little adapter card that has the power jack on it is the culprit though, although it's pretty simple and simple usually means "doesn't fail often". IIRC you have a 45W supply, 19V. But double check to be sure.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • petes85gt
    Yeah I went ahead and ordered a replacement last night, we'll see how it goes.  Thanks everyone for the help!
  • petes85gt
    So it took a month but I got a replacement adapter and no luck.

Should I just assume the motherboard is toast or is there another possibility?
  • Maybe it's a lition or rtc battery with problems?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer