ACER aspire vn7-592g I have been looking for a clear answer does this laptop support Nvme?

Options
K3VLAR_
K3VLAR_ Member Posts: 3 New User
I have had this laptop for a few years now and was debating to get a new laptop but instead I thought I'll upgrade the parts and was wondering if I can add m.2 Nvme or does it have to be a m.2 Sata? 
This model is acer aspire vn7-592g-76sl
S/n   NX.G6HEK.004
Data sheet
 https://www.acer.com/datasheets/2015/4876/VN7-592G/NX.G6HEK.004.html

I was wondering would adding a m.2 blue Nvme wd500gb work? 
I was going to move windows to this from my HDD drive and then replace the HDD with and another SSD 

I know this has been asked many times but can't find a clear enough answer

Thanks for your help 

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,118 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi,
    Many users have installed a M.2 NVMe SSD in this model but I couldn't find anyone using WD Blue 500GB.
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/9632648
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/8242236
  • K3VLAR_
    Options
    Thanks for getting back to me, I still on the fence about getting an Nvme ssd as I had seen there was a bios problem or something and window would not update? Is Nvme worth it more then a sata m. 2?
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Options
    Only if you render big files or copy them.
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• brummyfan2
    Options
    K3VLAR_ said:
    Thanks for getting back to me, I still on the fence about getting an Nvme ssd as I had seen there was a bios problem or something and window would not update? Is Nvme worth it more then a sata m. 2?
    You are welcome  :) NVMe SSD is worth using if you often transfer large files, apart from that under normal usage you wouldn't see any noticeable difference between the two.
  • K3VLAR_
    Options
    Thanks for your speedy response. I think I need to go nvme as I will be editing on my laptop, as this is my secondary to my pc for portability, will Nvme install no problem? I know how to do it just wondering if will I able to move windows across to it?

And will 500gb work?
    Sorry for so many questions just had seen some people had problems before but it was some time ago? Is there still problems now? Thinking about getting a Samsung to be on the safe side. 
  • brummyfan2
    edited May 2020
    Options
    No problem, get familiar with the upgrade procedure by watching some similar youtube videos, search for Macrium reflect online, you can use it for transfer the contents of old drive to the new SSD, both users in the link in my previous post using 500GB drives.
  • Sliverfalls333
    Sliverfalls333 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    @K3VLAR_
    Thanks for starting this thread! I am also interested to upgrade my SSD. Did you manage to try out the model from WD (nvme 500gb)?
  • frankoal
    frankoal Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi there. I know that this model is considered very old now. But just to share some information... maybe someone will find it useful.

Model No: VN7-592G-74F6 (2016/03/04)

Motherboard: Acer Aspire VN7-592G (U3E1) - Mobile Intel® HM170 Chipset

BIOS: v1.12 (Secure Boot / UEFI Enabled)

CPU: 6700HQ 4 cores / 8 threads @ 2.60Ghz

GPU (1): Intel HD Graphics 530

GPU (2): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M - 4GB GDDR5

RAM** Upgraded to: Crucial 32GB - (2 x 16GB, DDR4-3200, SO-DIMM 260 pin Configuration)

Storage** - OS / Boot Drive: Samsung 980 PRO NVMe PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 - 1TB

Storage** - Data: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB (SSD) - SATA-III 6.0Gb/s

Clean installed: Windows 11 PRO - 22H2 64bit, without any problem! NVMe M.2 and SATA III SSD Drives are detected in BIOS.

The only drawback is that this model is limited to PCIe Gen 3 - x4 Lanes, and the theoretical bandwidth of the NVMe M.2 in this case is 4 GB/s.

The Samsung 980 PRO NVMe is a Gen 4 Drive and can support up to 7GB/s R/W speeds.

One thing to note: In the installation process of Windows, make sure to choose the correct drive for OS. In my case, NVMe was listed as "Drive 1" and SATA SSD as "Drive 0". If you don't pay attention, it may happen that Windows will be installed in the wrong drive...

• VincentSmith
    VincentSmith Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Acer Aspire VN7-592G-76SL does support M.2 SATA drives, but it does not explicitly state whether or not it supports NVMe drives.

It is likely that the laptop does support NVMe drives. The laptop uses an Intel HM170 chipset, which supports NVMe technology. Additionally, many users have reported successfully upgrading their Acer Aspire VN7-592G laptops with NVMe drives.

As for the specific M.2 NVMe drive you mentioned, the WD Blue NVMe SSD, it should be compatible with the laptop as long as it is the correct physical size (M.2 2280) and interface (PCIe NVMe).

Before purchasing any new hardware, it's always a good idea to double-check the specifications and compatibility requirements with the manufacturer or a reputable retailer to ensure that it will work with your system.