M.2 SSD on T3-710 U3E1

Options
MarcoT83
MarcoT83 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Hi all,
i'd like to install on my T3-710 U3E1 (motherboard H11H4-AD2 V:1.1  as attached image  Skylake 14nm with i7 6700 3.4 Ghz  8GB RAM DDR3) an SSD M.2 but I don't know if I need ad AHCI or a NWMe PCIe SSD, does anyone know it?
With software HWinfo I only find the M.2 port is a PCIe Gen2 x1.
Does anyone have motherboard specification? I tried ask for it at Acer Italia but they haven't.
Thank you

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,387 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, you can boot from the M.2. You might want to disconnect the old HDD after cloning then boot from the SSD to make sure everything is working before putting the HDD back in wiping it to make it a data drive.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Options
    NVMe needs PCI Express 3.0 or 4.0, so yours needs a SATA M.2 drive.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,453 Trailblazer
    Options
    Have a look here of exactly what ram and ssd's you can fit into the Aspire T3-710: https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/acer/aspire-t3-710
  • MarcoT83
    Options
    billsey said:
    NVMe needs PCI Express 3.0 or 4.0, so yours needs a SATA M.2 drive.

Thank you for the answer. Sorry but the M.2 port on the motherboard is type M, I don't think I could install M.2 SATA anyway. The space on the motherboard is intended for M.2 2280 module, there's another M.2 port for WLan module in short format.
    Did anyone installa M.2 SATA on thi port?

Here is HWinfo information about the M.2 port

• MarcoT83
    Options
    StevenGen said:
    Have a look here of exactly what ram and ssd's you can fit into the Aspire T3-710: https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/acer/aspire-t3-710

Thank you, I've seen this page but it didn't mentions M.2 SSD
  • MarcoT83
    Options
    Today I've watched to the behind of M.2 port with a small camera, it's seem to be a type "B" and not a type "M" as I thought. Now I think that's right I must buy a SATA M.2 SSD

• billsey
    Options
    Yes, that is correct. It supports M.2 SATA, not M2. NVMe.
  • MarcoT83
    Options
    Thank you very much for your help!
    Do you know if this motherboard support boot from M.2 SSD?

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, you can boot from the M.2. You might want to disconnect the old HDD after cloning then boot from the SSD to make sure everything is working before putting the HDD back in wiping it to make it a data drive.