A Solution for Acer Swift 3 SF315-52-52YN "No Bootable Drive"

Options
uluqat
uluqat Member Posts: 4 New User
edited April 2022 in Swift and Spin Series
 SF315-52-52YN with 1TB HDD and 16GB Optane got the "No Bootable Drive" issue for no apparent reason. BIOS was only able to see the Optane, could not see the HDD. Was somehow able to get into Windows Recovery Mode, but this was not helpful because opening Command Prompt, issuing the command "diskpart" and then "list drive" showed no drives. Opened the laptop, pulled the HDD and installed it in my PC, where it worked fine and no bad sectors were found, so it's not a dead HDD.

The real problem was that an automatic Windows update, possibly interacting with the Optane stick, got stuck into a Pending Install state, preventing the laptop's firmware from seeing the HDD anymore.

1. Go to BIOS, under MAIN change SATA Mode from "RST with Optane" to AHCI, under Security set Supervisor Password to something easy like "test", under Boot set Secure Boot from Enabled to Disabled. One or more of these may require a reboot in between, or you may have to do them in a different order. The BIOS should now be able to see the HDD and you should now be able to actually use Windows Recovery to do something.

2. In Windows Recovery, go to Command Prompt, run:
dism /image:c:\ /get-packages
When you get a list of packages, scroll up, look for packages that say "Install Pending". Highlight the package name with the mouse, press "Enter" to copy.
Then run this for each of the packages that say "Install Pending"
dism /image:c:\ /remove-package /packagename:RIGHT CLICK THE MOUSE TO PASTE IN THE PACKAGE NAME
exit, reboot

3. For me, at this point Windows still wouldn't reboot. I used the Windows Recovery to Uninstall Updates, but upon doing so got an error 0x800F082F and CBS.log told me "Cannot finalize session because an exclusive session is pending". There is an article that tells you how to get around that:
But I needed to figure out how to run Command Prompt as an administrator in order to edit the Registry while in WIndows Recovery. You do that by using this command in Command Prompt:
net user administrator /active:yes

4. After this, Windows booted! Went to Windows Update, had it start installing updates, but it was unable to install the April 14 2020 Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB4549951 no matter what I did, and it won't let any other updates come in without finishing that, so the Windows install still seems broken. The 1TB HDD also seems pretty slow now, so I ended up taking out both the 1TB HDD and the Optane 16GB stick and installing a 512GB NVME M.2 drive where the Optane stick was and installing a fresh Windows 10 on it. I'm working on figuring out if I can run a second drive in the 2.5" SATA slot while booting from the M.2 slot.

{Edited the title from content) 

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Is hdd recognized in the main bios tab? Have you changed sata mode back to ahci?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • uluqat
    Options
    Is hdd recognized in the main bios tab? Have you changed sata mode back to ahci?

The 1TB HDD that came with the laptop became visible once I set SATA mode to AHCI. I was never again able to re-enable "RST with Optane" without the laptop doing "No Bootable Device". As I described above, I was eventually able to get that Windows install bootable again, but Windows Update on that install was still broken so I had to give up and do a fresh install of Windows.

I now have a 512GB NVME m.2 SSD made by SP in the m.2 slot and that works great and very fast for about US$70. I did a fresh install of Windows 10 on that and boot from there.

I then attempted to also install an old (from 2014) 240GB Crucial M500 SATA 2.5" SSD but while the BIOS could see it, it would always cause a "No Bootable Device" regardless of what was in the m.2 slot. Then I wiped the main partition of the 1TB HDD that came with the laptop, put it back in and am using it as a data drive with the SP 512GB m.2 SSD as the boot drive with no problems.

The end of the story is that a Windows update caused "No Bootable Device", possibly somehow related to the 16GB Intel Optane option. It was not a HDD failure. The solution is to switch SATA mode from "RST with Optane" to AHCI, and then fix Windows by doing a fresh install because attempting to repair it is futile.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    If you want to return to rst with optane mode, since you have disconnected the optane memory, you need to enable safe boot in msconfig on windows and then restart windows. Then uninstall the intel rapid storage driver and change the sata mode in the bios to rst with optane.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yeah, but no need to install the Optane memory since you now have an SSD in that M.2 slot. You can put the HDD back in and wipe and format it to get rid of it's boot and recovery partitions. Then it'll just be a data drive.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • uluqat
    Options
    uluqat said:

4. After this, Windows booted! Went to Windows Update, had it start installing updates, but it was unable to install the April 14 2020 Windows 10 Cumulative Update KB4549951 no matter what I did, and it won't let any other updates come in without finishing that, so the Windows install still seems broken.
    It wasn't just me being unable to install that particular update. Microsoft, once again, is to blame:

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    What happens when you install windows using a microsoft iso?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• uluqat
    Options
    What happens when you install windows using a microsoft iso?
    That's what I did, and the laptop works good now.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Great. Accept the answers that helped you!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• rksraja349
    rksraja349 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    There is no option available in Boot Priority order what to do ?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @rksraja349 I suggest you ask a new question.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    @rksraja349 that is normal when no boot devices have been recognized. Do you have the same model as the original user on this thread? If you have a different configuration then it is best to do as suggested and start a thread of your own.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.