Acer V226HQL Monitor displays in Pink/Magenta

Options
thrivehi5
thrivehi5 Member Posts: 1 New User
Devices/Hardware:
  • 2017 Macbook Pro w/ 16GB RAM on latest version of Catalina OS
  • Acer V226HQL LCD Monitor (info)
  • Thunderbolt 3 to HDMI cable by UMI (info)'

Aloha! I'm noticing my Acer monitor is displaying a mystifying magenta color tone whenever it is plugged into my 2017 Macbook Pro. I've attached a couple images regarding my systems, configurations and the troubleshooting steps I've taken.

Please note: I know my system was compatible with external displays through the Thunderbolt 3 Port while on the Mojave OS. But have been seeing continued issues since upgrading to Catalina.

_____

Steps Taken:

• Connected USB-C compatible Android device to Monitor. Result: ✅Cable is not defective, Monitor displays in full-color.
  • Connected Macbook to Monitor. Result: ❌Magenta display on Monitor, however Macbook displays in full-color.
  • Changed Color profile on Monitor's internal settings. Result: ❌Magenta display on Monitor
  • Change Display color profiles in Macbook System Prefs. Result: ❌Magenta display on Monitor
  • Verified Monitor is detecting HDMI input
  • Tried clamshell mode steps. The login screen showed in full-color. However after logging in, monitor reverted back to displaying in pink/magenta.
This said, it appears the Acer monitor's display settings CAN be modified but it won't let up on the extremely pink display. Therefore, I am unsure what other steps to take to resolve.

Please review the Exhibits below and let me know if I could provide more information.

Thanks!

_____

Exhibit Bank:

Exhibit A: Macbook Overview

Exhibit B: Displays Overview

Exhibit C: Display comparison

Exhibit D: System > Display Settings for Acer Monitor

Exhibit E: Thunderbolt Statuses

Exhibit F: Acer Monitor Settings

Any bit of suggestions or recommendations would be very helpful. I saved up to buy this monitor, only to find it's not compatible, or so it seems :(

Answers

• SC3
    SC3 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hi! How did you go with this issue? I'm having there same problem with MacBook Pro Catalina and an ACER KA Series monitor.
  • myz69
    myz69 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    After an anger-inducing attempt to fix this exact issue where I shipped my monitor to Texas to get it fixed on my warranty and then received it 2 weeks later with a note that no problems were found, I've figured out it was a dumb software problem that I was able to fix on Mac in a minute.

Go to About this Mac --> Displays --> Displays Preferences --> [the pop-up window on your monitor] --> Display

Then "Default for display" was selected for me, so I selected "Scaled" instead. Then I selected "1080p", which reset my monitor somehow and turned it the right color. To get it to the resolution I actually I wanted, I then selected the highest res (2560 x 1440), still under "Scaled".

Hope that helps someone.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Options
    Hi @myz69,

Good to know thanks for your information. It will be useful for many people. ​