image

How to upgrade RAM of my new Aspire 5

kotakjakotakja Member Posts: 21

Tinkerer

I bought this laptop: 
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/acer-aspire-5-15-6-laptop-silver-intel-core-i5-10210u-512gb-ssd-8gb-ram-windows-10/13978141

What RAM should I get to boost it to 12ram or 16ram? 
Should I buy one or two RAM sticks?
What should I buy? (brand? where?)

FAQ & Answers

  • kotakjakotakja Member Posts: 21

    Tinkerer

    I looks at DDR4 RAM on Amazon/BestBuy and I'm more confused as ever. What exactly is the type/kind/brand I should buy?

    There's too many. There's even a single 16GB RAM. Would that work? What should I get for my Aspire.
  • kotakjakotakja Member Posts: 21

    Tinkerer

    Please help. :(
    I don't know what RAM to buy.



  • andylbandylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Please give your exact model number for example A515-** you will find it on a sticker on the underside of your laptop

    Please click YES if I answered your question

    I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

    ★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

  • kotakjakotakja Member Posts: 21

    Tinkerer

    andylb said:
    Please give your exact model number for example A515-** you will find it on a sticker on the underside of your laptop
    https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/acer-aspire-5-15-6-laptop-silver-intel-core-i5-10210u-512gb-ssd-8gb-ram-windows-10/13978141
  • LeoLOST23LeoLOST23 Member Posts: 34 Enthusiast
    edited April 2020
    Hi, i have the A515-54G (same model but with the MX250) and i ordered with 16GB single channel RAM, because it only has one slot and no RAM is soldered. The laptop had 8GB by factory but they removed the 8GB and add a 16GB stick. If you have the same motherboard, you can remove the 8GB and buy 16. Hope it helps.

    P.S.: CPU-Z also show me (i think by mistake) that i have two slots, but it only has one.
  • kotakjakotakja Member Posts: 21

    Tinkerer

    LeoLOST23 said:
    Hi, i have the A515-54G (same model but with the MX250) and i ordered with 16GB single channel RAM, because it only has one slot and no RAM is soldered. The laptop had 8GB by factory but they removed the 8GB and add a 16GB stick. If you have the same motherboard, you can remove the 8GB and buy 16. Hope it helps.

    P.S.: CPU-Z also show me (i think by mistake) that i have two slots, but it only has one.

    Hello Leo. My name is Leo too.
    1. What exactly is the 16gb (product name, type, model) you bought and from where?
    2. What does "single channel ram" mean?
    3. What does "no ram soldered" mean?
    4. Who is the "they removed the 8gb"? Who's the "they"? Your friend? Repair shop or ACER?
    5. What is the "stick" that was added?
    6. What is something that I "remove"? If it's removable, why remove it when you can just add to it? For example, if there's already an 8gb in there, why remove it when you can just add another 8gb so you have a total 16gb?
  • LeoLOST23LeoLOST23 Member Posts: 34 Enthusiast
    edited April 2020
    kotakja said:
    LeoLOST23 said:
    Hi, i have the A515-54G (same model but with the MX250) and i ordered with 16GB single channel RAM, because it only has one slot and no RAM is soldered. The laptop had 8GB by factory but they removed the 8GB and add a 16GB stick. If you have the same motherboard, you can remove the 8GB and buy 16. Hope it helps.

    P.S.: CPU-Z also show me (i think by mistake) that i have two slots, but it only has one.

    Hello Leo. My name is Leo too.
    1. What exactly is the 16gb (product name, type, model) you bought and from where?
    2. What does "single channel ram" mean?
    3. What does "no ram soldered" mean?
    4. Who is the "they removed the 8gb"? Who's the "they"? Your friend? Repair shop or ACER?
    5. What is the "stick" that was added?
    6. What is something that I "remove"? If it's removable, why remove it when you can just add to it? For example, if there's already an 8gb in there, why remove it when you can just add another 8gb so you have a total 16gb?
    Hi, how are you?
    1. A friend of mine bought the laptop for me from X-Kom, in Poland. The RAM is from poland too. It's Wilk Elektronik, DDR4 2400MHz. They replace the 8GB stick for the 16GB one.
    2. Single channel is one channel of memory, because my Acer only has one slot available and i can't do dual channel (two channels works better, for example, in some games you can have double the FPS).
    3. They soldered the RAM to the motherboard, to thin laptops or ultrabooks, to save space or for tiny motherboards.
    4. X-Kom replaced the 8GB stick for a 16GB stick.
    5. Stick is the RAM module.
    6. If you have soldered memory (4 or 8GB) and the laptop has an extra slot for the RAM, you can add more memory, but if you have, like my laptop, only one slot to add memory and you want to go from 8GB to 16GB, you must replace the 8GB stick with a 16GB one. My laptop is a single channel machine.

    Hope this helps. 

    P.S.: I think you have the same model without an Nvidia graphics card. So you'll need to replace the 8GB module with a 16GB one. You can sell the 8GB of RAM and buy a 16GB stick with these specs: SODIMM, DDR4, 2400MHz or 2666MHz (maximum frequency supported) and choose whatever brand you like (Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, etc).
Sign In or Register to comment.

Who's Online645

alhakeem
alhakeem
anthony69
anthony69
Apple9540
Apple9540
Athwart
Athwart
badxxx
badxxx
Calibre68
Calibre68
DarthKaze
DarthKaze
Dityaagoel
Dityaagoel
enrico35
enrico35
Jayeshr007
Jayeshr007
KazumiSW
KazumiSW
Lesalu
Lesalu
Likilo
Likilo
madamepaon
madamepaon
Marathi_Manus
Marathi_Manus
Neilskyie
Neilskyie
StevenGen
StevenGen
Thanghung
Thanghung
ttttt
ttttt
YashaswiSingh
YashaswiSingh
Zeiler
Zeiler
OP3927
OP3927
+623 Guests

Join in, share your experience!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Here?

So, what are the rules of this place? Check out our Acer Community User Agreement. Register to get all the benefits of being a member! Get social and introduce yourself in our Welcome Forum, or learn about our ACE Program and What's Happening at Acer.

Assistance by Acer


Drivers &
Manuals

Acer
Answers

Get Product Information
( only)

Acer Support
Videos

Member Highlight

We are honored to have Leostat in the Acer Community. With their dedication, support and effort, Leostat has become one of the main collaborators. On behalf of our Acer Community Team and all of our users, we want to recognize and thank you for your dedication!

Total Posts and Comments: 1321

Total Points:4277

Total Accepted Answers: 164

Leostat Mainframe Wrangler