ED320QR sound wont wort

Options
mickwb
mickwb Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited February 27 in 2020 Archives
Just purchased a ED320QR monitor, and one of the reasons I purchased it was that it was listed as having speakers built in.
I have it connected to the PC via HDMI cable ( have tried 2 different cables and 2 different PC's ) 
On both PC's I see a speaker option of ED320QR so appears to have been detected, have gone through the menues on the monitor itself and ensured it is at max volume and not muted, but still no sound output.

Any ideas????

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Make sure Sound Settings on your computer is set to use the monitor as the output device, that the volume isn't muted on the computer and that the volume is set high enough. Often what happens is the machine recognizes that the monitor is available for audio output, but doesn't actually switch to it.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • mickwb

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks for the reply, I have already ensured that I have selected the "ED320QR" speaker setting. I have also now found that if I plug headphones into the headphone socket on the monitor itself I get sound through the headphones, so that seem to confirm the sound it getting to the monitor, starting to look like a fault with the internal monitor speakers.

Thanks.

• billsey
    Options
    Yeah, the fact that you see the ED320QR option for audio output means the computer thinks there are speakers in there too.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Galey801
    Galey801 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem. I'm connecting the monitor to a MacBook Pro and when the ED320QR is plugged in to the HDMI cable the sound controls on the MacBook are disabled. With the monitor plugged in, even if I select Internal speakers, I still don't get any sound. It's like the monitor takes over the sound/audio and no matter what you do no sound comes out. Would like to see something from Acer about this. 
  • mickwb

Tinkerer

Options
    I eventually got a response from the supplier of mine, turns out that Acer changed the stats and ended up producing the monitor WITHOUT the inbuilt speakers but never changed the published specs until later. I was offered a free set of external speakers as compensation but declined and returned it for a full refund and was offered a "Viewsonic VX3276-2K QHD IPS 32in" Monitor instead at the same price, and the speakers work fine now...
  • billsey
    Options
    Acer produces several different versions of most of their monitors, a version without speakers is really common and usually sells for $20 or so less that the one with speakers.
  • mickwb

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    Acer produces several different versions of most of their monitors, a version without speakers is really common and usually sells for $20 or so less that the one with speakers.

That may be the case for some but this exact model was advertised and listed everywhere that it had built in speakers, even all the re-sellers listed them as having built in 3W speakers, it was only after I received it and couldn't get it to work that the re-seller contacted Acer only to be told that Acer "changed" the specs and did not include the speakers in this model. Forcing me to have to package it back up, post it back and wait for a replacement to arrive.

Plenty of disappointed customers out there that had the same issue, and very misleading by Acer to do that.

• billsey
    Options
    The ED320QR model P shown on the Acer Singapore website doesn't have speakers listed. I couldn't find a different model listed on other Acer sites.
  • mickwb

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    The ED320QR model P shown on the Acer Singapore website doesn't have speakers listed. I couldn't find a different model listed on other Acer sites.

Yes that is correct "NOW" but as I mentioned it was listed as having 3w speakers built in and that is why I ordered it. That has since been updated on the Acer site and on all the re-sellers sites after I had ordered it, received it and then wasted a week trying to get a response from anyone on why the speakers wouldn't work.

At one point I was being told the speakers must be faulty and to send it back for a replacement until Acer finally updated the spec to be correct.

• DSTRAT
    DSTRAT Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I purchased a monitor Acer VG27VQ and cannot find a volume adjustment on the monitor itself. I have the computer settings on the highest setting and often wish I could have more volume. Can anyone please help? I purchased this monitor because it listed it as having speakers included.