Where are the Home and End keys on the Aspire 5 keyboard?

Options
xdennisma
xdennisma Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Hello,
Where are the Home and End keys on the Aspire 5 keyboard? I found the "End" key below the "1" on the numeric keypad, but am not sure what combination is needed to activate it. I can't find the Home key at all, unless it is the left-pointing arrow below the "7". Using both the 1 and 7, I tried Shift+, Ctrl+, Fn+, and Alt+, and none of them worked. Thanks!

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,116 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hi,
    Press Alt+Home buttons together to take you back to the Home page, press End on a web page to move straight to the end of the page.
  • xdennisma

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi brummyfan2, thanks for the reply, although I was referring to the function of the Home and End keys for within a line of text in a word processing document, for example. Do you know how I can enable those functions on my keyboard?
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,116 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hi,
    No problem, I have tried the short cuts from the link below, it works in LibreOffice Writer, so I would suggest you to test this and let us know.
    https://exceljet.net/keyboard-shortcuts

• xdennisma

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi Brummyfan2, Thanks again. I did try this combination (Ctrl+7 for home and Ctrl+1 for End) again and it didn't work originally, but does work once I take off the Num Lock key. However, doing so means that the numbers on the keypad can't be used, and I do use the number keys regularly. I'm looking for a key combination that I can use with the Num Lock ON, that will also allow me to use the Home and End functions. Hopefully this function exists!
  • bamhews
    bamhews Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hi dunno if you can see this and have already found it but thanks to u i found out how to use the end and home Press the numlock button then try it on line text.Hope it helps u
  • bamhews
    bamhews Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    and don't press any button like ctrl,shift etc just press the home or end button
  • xdennisma

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi Bamhews, Thanks for the replies. However, this is the same guidance as the previous poster. The Home (7) and End (1) keys are only activated when the NumLock is taken off, which means I cannot use the number keys as numbers. Unless there is a shortcut I don't know about, this is a terrible design. I want to know if there is another shortcut to activate Home and End without having to take off NumLock first. Appreciated!
  • debsyn
    debsyn Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    To get around this in Word, at least (where I use it most often), I made two keyboard shortcuts: alt right or left arrow for start and end of line respectively. Easy to do and saves a whole lot of heartache!
  • xdennisma

Tinkerer

Options
    @desbyn Thanks, that's a great idea, and I didn't know that could be done in MS Word. I looked online and can find several articles where it talks about how to assign a custom keyboard shortcut to an existing command, but not how to create a new command. Can you walk me through how to do it, or point me in the right direction? 
  • debsyn

Tinkerer

Options
    xdennisma said:
    @desbyn Thanks, that's a great idea, and I didn't know that could be done in MS Word. I looked online and can find several articles where it talks about how to assign a custom keyboard shortcut to an existing command, but not how to create a new command. Can you walk me through how to do it, or point me in the right direction? 
    Sorry, only just seen this! If you right click on the end of the ribbon at the top, you should get an option to customize the ribbon. If you click on that, you'll get a box like this and you'll see the keyboards shortcut bit at the bottom. You can change anything there! I used ALT plus the right/left arrows to get to the end/start of the line. Just about to assign one for the start/end of the document, if I can find the right command for it... I didn't realise quite how much I relied on shortcuts before, but I can't do without them now!
  • debsyn

Tinkerer

Options
    @xdennisma I should also have said that once you're in the keyboard shortcuts, go to 'All commands' on the left side, then click on the right side and find either EndOfLine or StartOfLine. And I've just noticed that it says there EndOfDocument or StartOfDocument, so I'm off to add two more shortcuts. Have fun!
  • xdennisma

Tinkerer

Options
    @debsyn It worked like a charm! I was just missing the "name" of each command, so your Startof.../Endof... cleared that up. Just added them to my Word template, and I might just see if it works in Excel too. Thanks a million for this! Now I've got to get used to this "new" shortcut. I still can't believe Acer excluded the Home and End keys from the keyboard, I never even realized it until after I had bought it and set it up. Thanks so much!
  • debsyn

Tinkerer

Options
    @xdennisma, so glad you got it sorted. I could barely work until I managed to work out the commands! I write all day, so they are essential... I'm not sure why the home and end keys aren't there. My old laptop was the same size and they managed to fit both keys and a decent-sized number pad on there. Anyway, all is good!  :)
  • Northview
    Northview Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    @debsyn, @xdennisma, I have just bought an Aspire 5 and during my first job on it I discovered this major missing!  Thank you for raising it and finding a solution.  Like you I am astonished the home and end aren't so readily accessible.  Might have been a deal breaker if I'd been on the ball!!!
  • debsyn

Tinkerer

Options
    @Northview It's still driving me crazy because although that works in Word, it doesn't work anywhere else! 🙄 Seriously, it's such a basic thing, no idea why they couldn't include it...
  • xdennisma

Tinkerer

Options
    @debsyn The MS Word shortcut has been great, I've used it a few times. I keep thinking that I need to program it into MS Excel and MS Outlook too. Are you saying it doesn't work in those other Office programs? Or are you referring to it not working in non-Office programs? 
  • debsyn

Tinkerer

Options
    @xdennisma you would have to program into the other Office programs. But it doesn't work in things like Acrobat. Or in browsers... And I still haven't worked out how to select text from where you are to the end/start of the document... Two little buttons, that's all we needed for an easy life... 😏 I know they're in the number pad bit, but they don't seem to work at all on mine
  • xdennisma

Tinkerer

Options
    @debsyn Well, yours must work, you just have to toggle on/off the NumLock key to get them to work. That's a hassle and an extra step that I didn't want to do with my right hand, but your shortcut works fine when I can do it with my left while using my right for the arrows. Since Edge is an MS product, perhaps it can be coded in there, I haven't looked. 
  • RB28
    RB28 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Options
    I've bought Acer's for years and recently had to purchase another brand because so many of the Acer offerings eliminated a direct one shot way to use the Home and End keys. Folks who do editing of text, code, spreadsheets, cut, paste, etc NEED these keys daily and don't want to fool around with Num Lock etc. We use several different editing apps and can't depend on App key shortcut workarounds. I'm amazed Acer is not aware of this, Anybody at Acer listening? Until they are many of us won't be buying any more Acer's without it.

• xdennisma

Tinkerer

Options
    @RB28 I could not agree more! If it weren't for the fact that I had already bought this Acer and loaded all my files and programs onto it, I would have returned it and bought another model or brand. I really regret this purchase, it's such a hassle without those two keys. What a dumb design decision!