R13 Opens in Tablet mode from sleep

Kailq967
Kailq967 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Just purchased an Acer r13 and its running the latest chrome os release but im having an intermittent issue where the laptop when opened from a sleep state is stuck in tablet mode. Only way to fix it is too reboot the laptop or use a mouse (which i can do but thats not solving an issue just papering over the cracks), read online and seen maybe a handful of posts from others with the same issue but none with a fix so wondered is this a Chrome OS issue or a problem with the R13 itself. Other than this one slightly irritating issue the laptop/tablet runs perfectly fine so i can kinda live with it for now.

Answers

• Samuel-Acer
    Samuel-Acer Moderator Posts: 687 Moderator
    Hi @Kailq967

We are sorry to hear it.

We suggest you to contact your local Acer Support for assistance related to warranty work. 

Regards,
    Acer-Samuel
  • pkw
    pkw Member Posts: 69 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    edited April 2020
    @Kailq967,

This sounds like it's related to my issue, see here:

https://support.google.com/chromebook/thread/40617725?hl=en&msgid=40617725

Somebody there reports the same thing and it might be caused by recent ChromeOS updates. I would encourage you to send feedback to Google, the more people do it the sooner they fix it.
  • Kailq967
    Kailq967 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thx for the reply pkw, already sent feedback reporting the issue which is still happening even after the latest OS update, though i have found that logging out and then back in gets it out of tablet mode and back into laptop mode. Again not the most ideal way to fix the issue but slightly quicker than rebooting the system everytime.
  • Nezza42
    Nezza42 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Same issue here, really annoying. Will submit feedback and keep fingers crossed for a fix!"
  • Nezza42
    Nezza42 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Just updated OS to 81.0.4044.127 and it seems to be fixed!!!
  • pkw
    My issue of not switching to tablet mode is still occurring in 81.0.4044.127. Changing to beta now to see if it's fixed.
  • Bach72
    Bach72 Member Posts: 5 New User
    Nezza42 said:
    Just updated OS to 81.0.4044.127 and it seems to be fixed!!!
    I just purchased an R13 and am having the same problem.  I am running 81.0.4044 and still have the problem.

In fact, I can do the following:

Reboot with screen only at 90 degrees open.
    Chromebook will boot up in desktop mode
    close the lid and put unit to sleep
    open lid 90 degrees and once again I'm in tablet mode.

I love this Chromebook, but sure hope this gets fixed soon.  
  • Bach72
    Update:

I can't explain why, but today the problem seems to be gone.  Everything is working as it should   :#:#
  • GN44
    GN44 Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited May 2020
    I have the same problem. Found no way to fix it. Very annoying. 
  • pkw
    Google is working on it, hopefully, a fix will come soon. 
  • GN44
    Is it a Google problem ? It looks te me as if it is a hardware problem of the acer R13. Hopefully it will be fixed soon. P.S. english is not my first language, forgive me if my writing looks odd.
  • pkw
    It seems to have appeared with a ChromeOS update. I've had my Acer R13 for a year. The problem only appeared about a month ago for me.
  • Bach72
    Earlier I posted that my R13 was working properly, but now the problem is back.  Quite frustrating... 
  • pkw
    edited May 2020
    A temporary workaround for switching manually between laptop and tablet mode:
    go to  chrome://flags/#ash-debug-shortcuts 
    Set to Enabled.
    Restart.
    You can switch between modes by pressing Ctrl + Alt +Shift + T. Unfortunately, this may not disable physical keyboard in tablet mode (happens to me).
  • GN44
    edited May 2020
    Today the problem seems to be fixed ! I hope it stays that way.
  • Milady
    Milady Member Posts: 1 New User
    pkw said:
    Set to Enabled.
    Restart.
    You can switch between modes by pressing Ctrl + Alt +Shift + T. Unfortunately, this may not disable physical keyboard in tablet mode (happens to me).
    Thanks for this. The problem comes back every time I think it's fixed, so now I can just use the shortcut to switch back when it gets stuck again. Less frustration = less chance of me throwing this laptop into a wall for dumb reasons. Appreciate the assist. ;)
  • Flo29
    Flo29 Member Posts: 1 New User
    pkw said:
    Set to Enabled.
    Restart.
    Hello, I'm on the chrome page: // flags / # ash-debug-shortcuts. But there are very many possible options sections. 
    Which is to activate on Enable ? 
    Thanks
  • pkw
    Flo29 said:
    pkw said:
    Set to Enabled.
    Restart.
    Hello, I'm on the chrome page: // flags / # ash-debug-shortcuts. But there are very many possible options sections. 
    Which is to activate on Enable ? 
    Thanks
    The first one - Debugging keyboard shortcuts.
  • pkw
    If I'm not mistaken, the fix should be included in the next ChromeOS update next week.